Ending the tug game - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Ending the tug game

Ok I am waiting for the rental on power of tugs to come in the mail but in the meanwhile......realize I have not done biting sports so the world of tug is not my bailywyck. The tug will morph into his reward toy for HRD though because he loves the fight.

I have gotten good with Beau releasing the tug while we are playing by letting him realize that letting it go means the game can continue by me taking it and then having another "session" within a few seconds after ending the previous one. Not releasing the tug makes it go dead or gets a correction.

I can now tap him all around his head and he won't take it without the release word. He is learning that the tug must be horizontal AND the release word must be given for him to take it.

But how do I end the game? I was told that the reason I was having trouble with the out is because when I say out and take it away and end the game that makes him want it even more. But all good things must come to an end.

For now, I am tossing a ball and he drops the tug because the prey drive kicks in, then grabbing the tug. Since we never tug with the ball, it is easy to get back. Suggestions, going forward?

Also right now if he gets REALLY ramped up by my whacking his flank and playing more vigoroously the out is harder to get, so do I just build up to that? A leash correction in THIS case is a bit counterproductive.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Knighted Member

I am so not a trainer, or have the bestest advice, but my guys love the game of tug, but seem to lose interest if they don't get to win now and then.....

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Winning is part of the game, for sure and I let him win some then take it from him and start it over but I am talking about when I am finiished and want to put the tug away.

Perhaps keeping it mixed up will make him never know kind of akin to jackpotting. Sometimes you reward (restart the game) sometimes you don't (keep the tug)

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM

I don't know if what I'm doing is right, but usually I'll just make Tank release it, and then put it away in the cabinet. I don't think it's doing anything detrimental to his tug drive because you better believe as soon as it comes out again, Tank is all about it.

Ravel Vom Leineholz aka Tank (9/8/2011)
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
With Woolf, ending anything, training, game, tug etc I end it with hands up and 'done'. I do the hands up now simply from habit, but began with he'd try to get a cheap shot in and grab the tug, ball whatever the item was. Once 'done' is said, you can see his body loosen up.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Tank in, Oh, that is not the problem. The problem I was having was getting it back from him, and the person who helped me the first time (not easily available) said that taking it away makes him want it even more and I had to give him a chance to learn that giving it to me nicely would make the game go on and not end the game.

My visit was after a puncture wound during his attempt at grabbing it out of my hand after I got it out of his mouth. Now I have a nice clean release and can even tap him on the head with the tug and be in control, but I am not sure if I should "trade" at the end or just take it and county on the variable reinforcement (sometimes releasing it gets another bite, sometimes it does not) to reinforce the right behavior

Twyla, I usually do add an "all done" but I will remember to keep that in.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

You are doing good with the release then starting the game right back up. That will give a solid out.

To end I let the dog win and carry the tug. They get board fast since it isn't moving and like you said most like the fight. When they get board they drop it. Once they let go/drop it they loose it. I do the same thing with bit sleeves. I never take it away. It is afterall there reward.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
You are doing good with the release then starting the game right back up. That will give a solid out.

To end I let the dog win and carry the tug. They get board fast since it isn't moving and like you said most like the fight. When they get board they drop it. Once they let go/drop it they loose it. I do the same thing with bit sleeves. I never take it away. It is afterall there reward.
That's how I do it too. I tug, release, she has to down, I can throw in some commands like Sit, Down, Stand. Toss the ball, she brings it back, we tug some more and at the very end I toss it and she can carry it out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
That's how I do it too. I tug, release, she has to down, I can throw in some commands like Sit, Down, Stand. Toss the ball, she brings it back, we tug some more and at the very end I toss it and she can carry it out.
Yup! Haha I watched your video and thought, hey thats how I do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page