Distraction

hey my dog Zoey gets distracted when outside
but when shes in the house she can
sit
lay down
stay
come
and i can put a treat on her paw and say leave it and she will
but when we are outside she gets distracted to a point when calling her name she doesnt even look.
soembody told me that when she does that to take a pop can wwith rocks in it and shake it close to her head?? is that harsh??
do u have any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Master Member

Rocks and Cans? Who comes up with these weird things?

What you have to do is train train train. Keep things positive and consistent. You start adding distractions little by little. So if you're training in the house right now, maybe add some people into the mix to be distractions. Once she can do those tricks inside a comfort zone with distractions, move onto somewhere outside her comfort zone (i.e. backyard, park, etc...) but keep it subtle. Keep a leash on her if you needed to keep her focused.

It's not something that will happen overnight.

Abby - Jan. 1, 2011 to Dec. 27, 2013
Bandit - Sept. 17, 2012
Rogue - Feb. 14, 2014
"A tired dog is a happy one
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks that what i think but im not sure if its that shes distracted of confused....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

She's distracted, they don't get confused unless you have confused her lol. Young dogs are much more interested in everything else going on around them then you. You have to teach her that obeying you is much more fun and beneficial to her than trying to figure out what something new is. So you do that with either praise or food. Don't allow her to not do something (that's why you have to go slow) because the moment you say come and she doesn't come, she has learned that she can blow you off without any negative repercussions and then she will continue to blow you off.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Crowned Member

If you've only taught things in the house then the dog only understands that command in the house. The house is a part of the exercise at this stage. Their ability to generalize is poor. After teaching in several locations, the act itself is associated with the command itself, and the locale stops being of significance

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I am working on distracting her with better things like... getting her a job
I have looked up some good jobs for dogs like carrying a back pack or doing some non jumping agility or hide and seek
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Master Member

The rocks in a can is old school. It used to be pennies, but I guess with the recession..haha. Anyway, it didn't have to be near her headand it isn't punishment ...it is just meant to create a loud clatter so she will focus on you. Only used when she is distracted. I just wanted to explain .

Jen Nyce

Airbrush Artist

Tazor Von Best GermanShepherdinTheWorld
`10 months
Pennsylvania

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM

I recommend Leslie McDevitt's book Control Unleashed. It's all about how to get easily distracted/reactive dogs to focus. You really start at ground zero with the dogs, but it's a really fabulous training book and I think it will provide you with a lot of insight.

I'd start with teaching her to "look at me" or to target your palm or a target stick in different environments (outside of your home). Have really high-value rewards with you and have lots of patience!

Abby |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pyrrha & Eden
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggerel View Post
I recommend Leslie McDevitt's book Control Unleashed. It's all about how to get easily distracted/reactive dogs to focus. You really start at ground zero with the dogs, but it's a really fabulous training book and I think it will provide you with a lot of insight.

I'd start with teaching her to "look at me" or to target your palm or a target stick in different environments (outside of your home). Have really high-value rewards with you and have lots of patience!
That's a great book.

Have you tried 'engagement' and 'clicker training'. BOTH help put you more into the picture so the fascination with the distractions becomes more manageable.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-training.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...t-puppies.html All dogs!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I am saving up my alowence ( yes i am a kid lol) and taking some dog training at petsmart i did it when she was a little puppy but since then i have been working at home my mom knows and is good friends with the teacher/trainer she trains and fosters pit bulls so she should be able to help me
Im going to buy that book because I bought a german shepherd book at chapters and i must say its kinda confusing so im going to get another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page