Scent Drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Scent Drive

If you are helping your dog build his/her scent drive, how to you manage it when the dog's drive takes over and obediance goes out the window?

How can you correct the dog without seeming to correct the scent drive?

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Scent Drive? Do you mean "hunt drive" ?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

If I'm trying to build the drive to follow a scent trail by using food etc. and make it always fun, exciting and rewarding a great game loved by all. But I drive the 'game' by giving the command to find/follow the trail. Make sense?

So when we are out just hiking and the dog finds a scent and becomes engaged on the scent with out the command given - how would I correct the engagement with out confusing the dog?

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well it is a matter of simple extinction there and correction of the dog is on a scent trail and chooses wrong.

The other scents are not allowed to "pay" EVER. So the trailing dog should not ever be allowed to have fun trailing game etc. "leave it" is appropriate. I do that all the time when my HRD dogs find somehting "interesting" that is not human HR.

If you are following a scent trail then it is good to associate a scent article for the dog to know the game is on and he is looking for a particular scent - though dogs can, under command follow the first located scent and follow its odor...but you would usually introduct that later (unliked tracking where you don't care so much about the human element and introduce the ground disturbance)

Well trailing and tracking are rife with arguments so it could be an interesting discussion.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Nancy - that makes sense. Would the use of a correctional device be utilized to tell the dog it's time to 'play the game', versus we are doing something else as well as your suggestion?

Like if we are going to work a track, then I'd have my dog in a flat collar and/or harness. But if we are just hiking (etc.) then I might have him in a halti or choke chain.

Not really getting hung up on the equipment - but on using something different when the dog is asked to follow a trail and when the dog is not.

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Banned

They should know when to work regardless. Generally we use the vest and the bell and once that is on, she knows exactly that it is time to work. However, I can also send her out without all that clunk, through a ritual.

The ritual is, imho, more important than the equipment. Equipment can break or get lost, the ritual you can do without any of that.

I put her into a sit, next to me and say "watch me", release the leash, Hand forward and than "SEARCH!"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
They should know when to work regardless. Generally we use the vest and the bell and once that is on, she knows exactly that it is time to work. However, I can also send her out without all that clunk, through a ritual.

The ritual is, imho, more important than the equipment. Equipment can break or get lost, the ritual you can do without any of that.

I put her into a sit, next to me and say "watch me", release the leash, Hand forward and than "SEARCH!"
When first training, did you keep a 'drag line' on her to correct?

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

I actually had one on her but not really to correct but to have control over the situation. It came off after the third session and it was much better without a drag line.

We started out with Swissies on a short distance, that was before I started with the ritual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=PsOmr20ww9U

From that day on, she never had a lead on her again. If she does get distracted I say "Back to work" which is pretty much the same as "leave it".
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you are doing trailing, generally you keep a line on the dog because the line is a form of communication with the dog ......... typically a trailing dog would use a harness so it can pull without perceived correction

If you are doing area search....ie. following airborne scent as opposed to a scent trail then you don't use a line.

What, exactly, is it you are doing here? Are you trailing as in finding a lost person by following their trail using a scent article (that was my assumption based on the verbiage),

Air scenting which may or may not be scent specific (usually not though many do) to find a person based on airborne scent....Air scenting in this context is NOT the same one used by tracking people for a dog tracking with its head off the track) but rather airborne scent from a point source.

or tracking to follow the footfall path of a person where you want the dog to stay close to where they walked (A trailing dog may wind up quite some distance from the footfall path under certain circumstances and be correct)

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

This is a good trailing example with Karina Kalks from the Mantrailing Academy in Austria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=CDTSjED7aWA#!

It would be good to know what exactly you are talking about and what the scenario is. There are plenty on here that could probably help you.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 05-24-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page