make him stop hurtin ghis nose - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

make him stop hurtin ghis nose

latley me and my boyfriend have been working alot more and instead of 4-5 hours in the kennel its been 8 and zero has been making his nose bleed and his lip also i think its from sniffing or pushing the bottom of the kennel to get out. He has really high anxiety and im trying to take them to work as much as possible but does anyone have tips on how to stop him from this? show i lock him up and clicker if he doest hurt himself? poor thing i feel horrible!!

"And they call it...puppy looooovvveeee"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

How old is Zero?

Have you tried giving him a frozen kong with treats? Made sure he's REALLY tired before putting him in the crate? Crated him while you're at home?

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

he just turned 2 and i have not tried frozen treats. and i leave really early so i might have to get up earlier to make sure hes tired. he usually isnt. and we crate him while we are home and hes fine with it. i think its just the longer period of time bugs him

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

Sure, he's used to being crated for a certain period of time and now it's changing. Jazzy's been crate trained since 9 weeks old and loves her crate, but if I crate her at night and go out she gets upset because it's not normal. It's obviously not the crate itself which is bugging him

I'd do a brisk walk before crating in the morning and a kong to help keep his mind focused for a while. He'll probably adjust to the new schedule soon enough

Otherwise if you trust him try leaving him out of the crate with a few special toys and treats

Shanna

My Pack:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

yeah im going to have to try that, i trust him leaving him out, he just scratches up his lip rubbing on the front door to get out. i video taped him one day to see what he did, and he usually just sleeps, but i think he just doent like being away form me or my BF

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Wait, is he crated when you're gone or left out in the house? Now I'm confused

So he hurts himself whether he's in the crate or out in the house?

That sounds like major SA, exercise will help and you can try several kongs frozen with food in them along with toys like puzzle boxes to keep his mind busy but if he's that bad I'd try a trainer who has experience dealing with SA

Shanna

My Pack:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

Actually, if he was fine when you were gone for a lesser amount of time and this is a new behavior with the longer time then it isn't conventional separation anxiety. A dog with true SA panics whether you are gone for 3 minutes or 8 hours.

There is a little booklet by Patricia McConnell called, "I'll Be Home Soon" that helps you figure out whether your dog has true SA and, if so, how to counter-condition the dog out of it.

In the meantime, I would take seriously the recommendations for upping his overall exercise, both mental and physical. Get up early, do a short, challenging training session and then 30 minutes of really good exercise like running, power walking, ball chasing or a mix of all of that and whatever else you and he like to do together.

Also, do leave him something to do while you're gone like a frozen kong or a treat ball or something exciting that lasts a while.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

we go back and forth of leaving him in his kennal and no matter what his nose is red and raw.. thanks for the info! ill deff work on wearing him out more

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

Alot of good suggestions in this thread.

I'm sure you have already checked...BUT double check and make sure there are no snags, sharp edges, etc. in the crate that he might casually be bumping. Long shot, but worth the extra inspection.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

yeah i will check into that too.. when he was a puppy he bent part of his kennel while he was shewing it. so it might be hitting him

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page