Teaching tug as a game - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Kev

Teaching tug as a game

Normally while lurking other forums, I see some members that tell other people that it is important to teach the dog that tug is a game and not a power struggle. You should teach them that before even tugging with them. Makes sense I suppose but how do you teach a dog that tug is only a game?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Crowned Member

Here are some nice articles on the subject:

The Duration of The Tug Sessions | Susan Garrett's Dog Training Blog
Tugging With the Dog | Susan Garrett's Dog Training Blog

Also- the Ivan Balabanov DVDs have good info on tugging.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If youi start when they are small puppies, they know you are the bigger/boss and alot of that continues with your additional training and classes.

Did you get a chance to look at https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-training.html tons of great info on those videos...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Kev

What is understand from the engagement videos are that you want the dog to follow you around and focus on you, correct? What methods could i use to engage a pup? Should i use treats and other reward systems? My pup use to follow me like a magnet and now he still does but would also like to do his own thing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 PM

I would not let anyone play tug until we had a firm grasp on "leave it." When he is over pulling or I am just ready to stop to the throw the toy I say Leave It and he lets go instantly. He would drag me off with out this command.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM

I use Tug session to practice '' stay '' sit '' give back '' leave it '' etc all others commands ...

its really important for me , when we play tug , when i ask him to give ti to me , he give it right away... i dont have to ask many time or pull it by myself from his mouth , or i would take that as a challenge, what i would not tollerate .

i did it like this with my 2 GSD and i always had crazy focus on the toy .. even at the dog's park , if i take the rope out of the bag , there no other dogs auround ... focus is on me for ever .
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM

Tab289 is awesome! Look at this video ->

He is talking about using tug as a reward during training, but the rules and how he teaches his dog is just as useful if you're playing it as a regular game : )
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoGSD View Post
I use Tug session to practice '' stay '' sit '' give back '' leave it '' etc all others commands ...

its really important for me , when we play tug , when i ask him to give ti to me , he give it right away... i dont have to ask many time or pull it by myself from his mouth , or i would take that as a challenge, what i would not tollerate .

i did it like this with my 2 GSD and i always had crazy focus on the toy .. even at the dog's park , if i take the rope out of the bag , there no other dogs auround ... focus is on me for ever .
I the same while playing tug. My dog has learn that, the fun in the tug is only when my hands are on it, thus making the dog wanting to bring it back to to restart the game.

-Have fun, Train hard-

Gabi vom Gildaf - CGC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post

Did you get a chance to look at https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-training.html tons of great info on those videos...

Really watch and listen to the videos on youtube from Michael Ellis and his students about this. When we start with a young puppy we don't have to make such a HUGE ISSUE about it being a 'power' issue. And having to 'control' the situation with obedience. Or add tons of obedience BEFORE adding tugging.

Listen to the WHY he wants the engagement (they also use food) and HOW they encourage it.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page