training feedback (watch and stand) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

training feedback (watch and stand)

Howdy everyone :3.
Mk, so for the past 2.5 weeks I've been working on 'watch' and 'stand' with my now 10 wk old puppy Xena. She seems to pick up on things very well, and understands 'outside' and 'inside' and 'bathroom' and though we havent attached a word to it yet, she sits for everything (she's required to sit for being let out and getting dinner/water and just offers it all the time) and we play the recall game off and on, and do Aus at least once a day.

For the first 2 weeks of her being home we worked on potty training, people/dog socialization, and acclimation to the house with 'stand' and 'watch' thrown in a couple times a day. Then for the past two weeks I started doing 10 min exercises: 5 min watch (mornings) and 5 min stand (evenings) with play thrown in. The only time I have to spend with her since I work full time is in the early am's (6a to 8a) and evenings (5p onward). I do have a 12p lunch break for a half hour and I work on 'watch' for 5 mins with her during that as well. Today was the first time I tried to 'test' the watch command while she was in her crate. I said watch and she gave no reaction. So I blew on the top of her head and when she looked at me I said watch and treated her.

Stand is harder because she came to us already understanding the sit concept. I started treating her for offering the stand as well, and do 10 min stand/play exercises with her every evening. She's gotten better at holding the stand and doesnt just sit right away anymore, but I havent tested the command out yet cause I think I still need to do more work with her on it. We go to handling class, and this also helps with enforcing the stand.

I know that she's clever and she's easily picked up on the other stuff, but I'm not sure why she's not being too responsive at least for the 'watch' command. I was doing the old bring-a-treat-to-your-eyes to teach it. Someone here mentioned waiting the dog out to look at you for something it wants, but I dont think she'll respond too well to that method. (If she really wants something her eyes stay on it, or oppositely she gets instantly bored and tries to leave). At first I didnt worry too much on where her eyes were going as long as they landed on my face area, but now I'm starting to wait for a definite eye flicker (though honestly its really hard to tell if she's actually looking me in the eyes).

I want to try and hold out more so I can have the treat away from my face and she'll still look directly at me, and I was thinking that I'll just have to keep the treat further from my face and then reward for the eye flicker, and hopefully thats a good direction to go in. But still, I'm not sure if I'm doing it all correct or if there are other things I should be doing/trying. Its already been a long time working on these commands, but admittedly I've not really trained many puppies. I saw an article that says 2 weeks is enough for a puppy to learn something and if they take longer something is wrong. Also I hear/read some people say 'my dog learned it in a day' and I'm not sure what that means haha. A day of using the command all day or you said it once and the dog just got it? So I'm not sure how long is too long. Were going to start training with the breeder when she's 3 months old, but I'd like to get some ground work done on my own. Thanks for the time!

Last edited by Renoto; 04-30-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

To really capture a behaviour I love using the clicker, so easy and you can mark ANY behaviour you want, no matter how quick

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah about the clicker haha! Thats a big no for me but thanks for the feedback. I've tried clicker training, and I (not the dog but me) cant do it! I have lost so many clickers, or I'll forget to bring them to class, or I forget to click, or I click too early or too late...I have frustrated many a trainer in the past just because I'm extremely unreliable when it comes to clickers. So its all gotta be verbal and stuff. Her praise word is 'good' and she understands 'no' so thats pretty good.

Last edited by Renoto; 04-30-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page