How to stop dog from lunging for treats? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

How to stop dog from lunging for treats?

Rooney used to be so good with taking treats, she's taken them from teeny tiny hands but recently has started lunging for treats when I give them. I think it may be because I've recently moved in with my brother and his dog is a wreck, untrained, aggressive, and very possessive of me. They get treats at the same time obviously, but while his dog sits patiently (which strikes me as weird as she's so wild when treats aren't involved!) for her treat my Rooney is so eager to get her treat she's now biting my hand. How exactly can I stop this? I've tried smaller treats. I've tried sit, stay. Lay down, stay. But then she gets so excited now she just grabs it, biting my hand at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Crowned Member

Hold your hand in a fist and don't allow the treat until you've marked the behavior/command Rooney is taking it calmy. Use the reward in a quiet voice, "calm" or "take it".
There are other ways to treat/reward after the marking when training.
Use cottage cheese containers as target plates and have her take the treat from that(after you've loaded it, do a leave it/wait/take it command exersize to teach it) I've got a 3 yr old and he takes treats gently, but the targets are great for teaching control and adding in speed to our training.
Another option is to get rid of the food for a bit and use a tug or ball on string to reward....if she's taking treats so rough, tug may help her get out the energy. Just don't let her have it without it being held by you to begin. The toy is only valuable if you are engaged with her/it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Impulse control games:

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:44 AM

Interesting article: Why I Love It’s Yer Choice | Success Just Clicks

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Master Member

What I do probably isn't advised because it can cause more excitement. I pull the treat away faster than they can get it (if they do, which is rare, I remove it from their mouth if possible) and say "wait" or "easy" or whatever command you want to use. If I don't tell Ditto "easy" before I give her something and the other dogs are sitting right there she gets my finger every time. You could also try turning your hand inward quickly instead of moving your whole hand, but your fist will get nipped. I don't mind getting nipped while they learn, as long as they eventually learn.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 AM

You're ALPHA, YOU control the treat and how hard they have to work for one. ONE. Only give a treat to whomever does the better job. Personally I disagree with the gentle/soft voice IF dominance needs to be shown. Personally I always show dominance UNLESS we're playing. I use "NICE" as the "calm" command. Zion is still working at it as far as self-control goes, LOTS of energy and excitement when you're only 1yr, 4mo. But doing really well by having to earn everything. And if he start going into "autopilot" thinking he knows what to do to get the reward, sit before told, I add another command until he's on auto for 4-5 skills. Then I change it to just asking what can you do? What else can you do? Until we've gone through all of the 4-5 skills being worked on, and he's heading back towards auto mode. Then I make him break pattern HE has to change the order each time in which he does things. VERY rewarding for him, I can tell how proud he is as things continue to get harder. He thrives on it.

My point is I think making them work for it is more involved than just repeating the same stunt over and over. That is no longer work, it's pushing a button.

With 2 females there is GOING to be a power struggle going on, as they are both on the same line of higher archy within the pack. And same as you too? Meaning female. If that's the case the "current" structure is most likely (1) YOU (2) Bro's dog, because it's her turf then lastly in (3) Rooney, if you look at a hitter of pups the one that tends to get food aggressive is a subordinate, as they tend to get the least amount of milk, and eat last. That being said in that pack structure, the ALPHA would kick some ass for that type of behavior being directed towards a superior in the pack.

NOW, the point of this exercise is to have them redirect how they as send the pack ladder, his dog IS being possessive, of it's pack position, not of you,most likely. The way they move up the ladder is by behaving "performing" in a superior manner. Not through force. It's your role as ALPHA to set the standards as to how one ascends the chain of command.

Try it, they were created to WORK. Be DOMINANT! If unsure of what this really means try to find a video of a wolf/hybrid dominance battle, you can get aggressive, Ilike BITING ears, and snout to get the POINT across. Also by being aggressive in your assertion of power they will fall in line,FAST! This is due to the natural escalation of the fights in a natural pack.

Hope this helps.

Charlie
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky2200 View Post
What I do probably isn't advised because it can cause more excitement. I pull the treat away faster than they can get it (if they do, which is rare, I remove it from their mouth if possible) and say "wait" or "easy" or whatever command you want to use. If I don't tell Ditto "easy" before I give her something and the other dogs are sitting right there she gets my finger every time. You could also try turning your hand inward quickly instead of moving your whole hand, but your fist will get nipped. I don't mind getting nipped while they learn, as long as they eventually learn.
I don't pull the treat away but I will reach in and take it back if they don't take it nicely. To train I usually hold a high value treat in my hand and only expose a tiny bit. The dog has to use their front teeth to bite off the treat, if they get too excited and bite my fingers then the treat disappears for a few seconds. I get bruised fingers in the beginning but it works.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATIGE View Post
You're ALPHA, YOU control the treat and how hard they have to work for one. ONE. Only give a treat to whomever does the better job. Personally I disagree with the gentle/soft voice IF dominance needs to be shown. Personally I always show dominance UNLESS we're playing. I use "NICE" as the "calm" command. Zion is still working at it as far as self-control goes, LOTS of energy and excitement when you're only 1yr, 4mo. But doing really well by having to earn everything. And if he start going into "autopilot" thinking he knows what to do to get the reward, sit before told, I add another command until he's on auto for 4-5 skills. Then I change it to just asking what can you do? What else can you do? Until we've gone through all of the 4-5 skills being worked on, and he's heading back towards auto mode. Then I make him break pattern HE has to change the order each time in which he does things. VERY rewarding for him, I can tell how proud he is as things continue to get harder. He thrives on it.

My point is I think making them work for it is more involved than just repeating the same stunt over and over. That is no longer work, it's pushing a button.

With 2 females there is GOING to be a power struggle going on, as they are both on the same line of higher archy within the pack. And same as you too? Meaning female. If that's the case the "current" structure is most likely (1) YOU (2) Bro's dog, because it's her turf then lastly in (3) Rooney, if you look at a hitter of pups the one that tends to get food aggressive is a subordinate, as they tend to get the least amount of milk, and eat last. That being said in that pack structure, the ALPHA would kick some ass for that type of behavior being directed towards a superior in the pack.

NOW, the point of this exercise is to have them redirect how they as send the pack ladder, his dog IS being possessive, of it's pack position, not of you,most likely. The way they move up the ladder is by behaving "performing" in a superior manner. Not through force. It's your role as ALPHA to set the standards as to how one ascends the chain of command.

Try it, they were created to WORK. Be DOMINANT! If unsure of what this really means try to find a video of a wolf/hybrid dominance battle, you can get aggressive, Ilike BITING ears, and snout to get the POINT across. Also by being aggressive in your assertion of power they will fall in line,FAST! This is due to the natural escalation of the fights in a natural pack.

Hope this helps.

Charlie
Oh, boy....

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Hold your hand in a fist and don't allow the treat until you've marked the behavior/command Rooney is taking it calmy. Use the reward in a quiet voice, "calm" or "take it".
This.

You don't have to beat your dog up, or bite it's ears to establish leadership. I would NEVER EVER tell someone to reach over and attempt to bite the ear of a dog who is overly excited. EVER!

I have a very high drive 4 month old puppy. He would just as soon take off all of your fingers to get that prize inside your hand. However, it only took a very short time for him to learn the prize is mine to give and not his to take by following what onyx'girl said above. It truly works. May not the first time, but it will. My puppy will sit calmly waiting for his treat even if I have all four dogs sitting next to each other waiting for their reward.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATIGE View Post
Try it, they were created to WORK. Be DOMINANT! If unsure of what this really means try to find a video of a wolf/hybrid dominance battle, you can get aggressive, Ilike BITING ears, and snout to get the POINT across. Also by being aggressive in your assertion of power they will fall in line,FAST!
This is a really bad idea, and it's a recipe to get bitten.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page