Poop rolling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Poop rolling

My Scout, sweet dog that he is, loves to roll in horse poop. He listens perfectly well until he gets around the horse field and then he almost always makes a bee line for the biggest pile of poop he can find which he digs a bit up and then will roll in it until he goes from being a pretty white dog to a nasty poop coloured dog. Do you have any suggestions on how to stop this? I have tried everything I can think of. And it really concerns me as I have a 6 month old baby Scout loves to cuddle with.

Scout also loves to chase the cats, do you have any ideas how to stop that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Banned

keep him leashed untill you teach him "no",
"leave it", "stop", "come" or some command to
control him. when i've had a pup living with cats
i keep a close eye on the pup. i don't allow them
to chase the cats. as the pup gets older and learns
more it seems that the pup and the cats work it
out. the dog i have now had cats in his puppy class
and he vists my neighbor often whom has 2 cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britchick View Post
My Scout, sweet dog that he is, loves to roll in horse poop. He listens perfectly well until he gets around the horse field and then he almost always makes a bee line for the biggest pile of poop he can find which he digs a bit up and then will roll in it until he goes from being a pretty white dog to a nasty poop coloured dog. Do you have any suggestions on how to stop this? I have tried everything I can think of. And it really concerns me as I have a 6 month old baby Scout loves to cuddle with.

Scout also loves to chase the cats, do you have any ideas how to stop that?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Banned

Might have to resort to an E-collar. Rolling in 'stuff' is almost as irresistible as chasing a squirrel wrapped in bacon. Very difficult to break.
Abby telegraphs her rolls so if she is on a leash I can correct her, if off leash, forget it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

I do keep Scout on the leash when it is dark outside, and then he shows NO interest in the cats, poop, or anything else. He stands and walks perfectly by my side. It is the second he comes off the leash that the listening stops. He also always comes the first time I call him, as long as there is no poop. Generally he is a very well behaved dog.

I hadn't considered an e-collar before. I use to have one for my border who liked to leave the property, we used it whenever she went north of the barn so she wouldn't run into the road.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page