Stop Crying and Yelping when on tieout? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Stop Crying and Yelping when on tieout?

I just got a 3month old GSD from an Amish Breeder. I try to get her on the 25ft tieout and once i hook her up she goes crazy. She crys and yelps and runs around the yard crying. I normally walk her but when i get home from work i like to tie her outside and clean up her mess. I have established a walking routine.

In the morning time I clean up her mess, and walk her outside around 6am

6:30 I feed her and at 7:00 I talk her out before i go for work.

When i get home around 5 i tie her out and clean her mess up

after that i feed her and about 30 min after i take her outside again.

Before we go to bed i also walk her around the block.

The biggest thing is during the day and weekends shes normally really good about going to the bathroom outside. I just want her to stop carrying on when shes on the tieout. It doesnt matter if im there or if i run inside..

Please help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Great news!

You have a normal healthy GSD puppy who wants/NEEDS to be with their pack. And that pack is YOU. If your puppy didn't it would be abnormal and I'd be concerned.

The fix is 100% doable and will 100% stop the crying and yelping.

DO NOT USE A TIE-OUT FOR YOUR PUPPY.

What are all these 'messes' you have to keep cleaning up? Are you crate training? A crate in the bedroom for at night and when you aren't home will start making zero messes in the house. Baby gates and closed doors in the house to keep the puppy in the room with you when you are home so you can start TEACHING the housebreaking thing.

Our puppies do not learn and train themselves. They need us for structure and to be with to LEARN what they can do, what they can't do and what we expect from them. PUPPIES need this mostly from us paying attention and modifying their environment to set them up to succeed (so instead of leaving my shoes around the house and punishing my puppy for eating them................... INSTEAD, I pick up my shoes and only have dog toys on the floor for my puppy to grab).

STOP USING THE TIEOUT. If you puppy is outside, you should be outside. Puppy inside, you are inside with it or the puppy is crated.

Did you find this section yet? Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

In particular https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...uppy-cage.html and https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...imer-tips.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I tried to crate train her, but as soon as i shut the door she goes crazy and tries to claw her self out of it and yelps.

She has been normally good as far as doing her business outside. We first got her 4/7/12 and she went to the door and cried, I took her on the leash and she did her business outside. She is normally good during the day when some one is home( and we restrict her access to other rooms of the house.)

The vet told me she can hold her blatter for 4 hours ( 3mo + 1 hr) so i expect to have some accidents when i come home from work. As you can see below I have a routine i walk her. She typically makes messes in the morning ( or late night after sleep) and when i come home work. I estimate thats at the max of her holding ability.

I use some puppy spray cleaner thats susposto clean up the "smell" every time I clean up after her. As per sleeping goes, she sleeps on the floor by our bed. She started sleeping on the floor by her self, i felt bad and put a thick blanket on the floor and now thats her spot.

Another thing is shes eating her own doody! Once day in the morning I smelt fresh well ya know what i mean, and i looked all around the house to clean it up. Finally with my flashlight i seen a small residue and i cleaned up and smelt her breath. I was like WOW im not getting kisses from her anymore..

I have a vet checkup next week, and they are going to give me some chewys that will stop her from eating her own stuff.

We do crate train out chiauaua, hes an older dog but the 2 of them get along great. Actually where ever he does his business the GSD holly has to sniff and be near him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Great news!

You have a normal healthy GSD puppy who wants/NEEDS to be with their pack. And that pack is YOU. If your puppy didn't it would be abnormal and I'd be concerned.

The fix is 100% doable and will 100% stop the crying and yelping.

DO NOT USE A TIE-OUT FOR YOUR PUPPY.

What are all these 'messes' you have to keep cleaning up? Are you crate training? A crate in the bedroom for at night and when you aren't home will start making zero messes in the house. Baby gates and closed doors in the house to keep the puppy in the room with you when you are home so you can start TEACHING the housebreaking thing.

Our puppies do not learn and train themselves. They need us for structure and to be with to LEARN what they can do, what they can't do and what we expect from them. PUPPIES need this mostly from us paying attention and modifying their environment to set them up to succeed (so instead of leaving my shoes around the house and punishing my puppy for eating them................... INSTEAD, I pick up my shoes and only have dog toys on the floor for my puppy to grab).

STOP USING THE TIEOUT. If you puppy is outside, you should be outside. Puppy inside, you are inside with it or the puppy is crated.

Did you find this section yet? Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

In particular https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...uppy-cage.html and https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...imer-tips.html

I agree with the above statement.

Your puppy is a baby and wants and needs to be with you. German Shepherds are know for being velcro dogs. Starting this (tie out) would be your beginning to whole list a problems later down the road. I highly recommend not leaving him on a tie out. I would look into a puppy OB class in your local area. Bond with your puppy and enjoy teaching him new things.

Please read article below.
Tying up a dog...PROBLEMS!!!

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DanielleOttoMom; 04-13-2012 at 10:30 AM.
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy12095 View Post

Another thing is shes eating her own doody! Once day in the morning I smelt fresh well ya know what i mean, and i looked all around the house to clean it up. Finally with my flashlight i seen a small residue and i cleaned up and smelt her breath. I was like WOW im not getting kisses from her anymore..
That's because she has access to it. Dogs instinctively don't like to be around their own mess. She'll try to "clean it up." While she's a puppy and working on house training you need to be there every time she goes potty. Every. Single. Time. It needs to be outside, and you need to throw a big party with little treats. Every single time she has the opportunity to potty in the house, it confuses her more and teaches her that it's ok to go in the house.

If you're gone longer than she can realistically "hold it", hire a dogwalker or get a friend or family member to come take her out.

Would you let a baby wallow in a poopy diaper just because you had other things to do? No, you'd drop what you were doing and change the diaper because when you have a baby or a puppy, that young baby is temporarily the #1 most important priority.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the information! I will be more up her rear and make sure im there more. Once I get her vetted I am putting her in OB classes, then agility classes. The trainer wont take my puppy with a hand written paper from the amish breeder showing her shot records. But my vet will do that all for me.
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

On another note, can you all help me pick out an AKC name for her?

Her called name is Holly, her parents names are

RUSTUS VON HINRICHS AND TASSIE VOM KALKSTEIN

I have no clue what to name her, ive read the other posts about names and am clueless, and they havent been answered since 2010
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy12095 View Post
. The trainer wont take my puppy with a hand written paper from the amish breeder showing her shot records. .
Uuuh, I don't blame your trainer.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

She can't do agility until she's at least a year old. If any trainer tells you otherwise, I'd run. German Shepherds need to be with their families, ours will run around a back yard for hours as long as the back door is open and he can come in and be with us when he pleases, but as soon as that door is closed, he's at the door waiting to be let in.
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Elite Member

Crate training is very important. I had many many sleepless nights with my dogs. Some puppies are easier than others. Puppies need to be let out to use the RR every few hours their little bladders can't hold it that long. This also helps with potty training. Set your alarm for every 2-3. They are going to cry the first few times you put them in there. It helps if you put the crate in your room. Start feeding him in the crate with door open. This way he see the crate as a happy place. I put blanket over the top to make it darker where the door was the only thing exposed. Trust me we have all gone through this at one . In the end you will be happy you stuck to it.

http://leerburg.com/qacratetraining.htm?set=1

Learn How to Crate Train Your German Shepherd the Right Way - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Crate Training : The Humane Society of the United States

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page