This is too glorious not to deserve its own thread! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

This is too glorious not to deserve its own thread!

Leash Dilemma..Yikes

For all those who helped, your amazing. I think this success story can help.
Okay, So we went to petsmart and a trainer there fitted Thor properly for his prong collar. I got a fanny pack and some really great treats, I also signed up for a 6 week OB course with him!

We came home and I donned my pack, snapped the collar on him and out we went...
WOW.
One tiny pop on the leash and he heels like an angel. All his reactive behavior?? Deterred by a small pop, once he looks at me?? Lots of praise and a treat!
He had a 100% turn around I am SO happy!
I kept the choke chain on him and hooked the leash to that and the live ring of the prong.
Thor did so great you guys it made me shed some tears. My neighbor complemented me on how wellbehaved he was. He even did good when the little 1 year old on the corner ran down the yard screaming doggy at him. (the unwatchful parents in the garden sprinted and grabbed him up before he reached the road)

We also did (its yer choice) training with both dogs today. I posted a thread about it asking for critique on my training...but no one replied lol.
They both are doing really well with that and showing great progress.
Petsmart trainer says she sees a lot of frustration in Thor that many people automatically percieve as aggression (poor dude, he just want to play)

anyways...sorry for the blab.
THANKS EVERYONE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Also, I tried the methods, gentle lead, turning and walking the other way, and LAT training too. A combination of those things in certain situations works best for Thor. Today is our first day and I already see so much improvement, I cant wait for tommorow.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

yeah, nothing better than a well behaved baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

The prong is like power steering and it's self correcting for a lunging dog. I'm so glad you got it properly fitted and it's working for you. You can look on leerburg.com for articles about using it. I still use on with Stosh when we're going someplace new and I want to be sure I have control.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 PM

to be honest, i'm surprised a petsmart person helped you with a prong collar

they are notorious for not wanting those used.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

They sell them though...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 AM

if you go to training there, they won't let you use it.

some people don't like them, mainly for the looks. they "think" it hurts the dog.
if you've ever seen dogs play, you'd know that it's far from the truth.
they are a very useful tool to have, and when used correctly, they're very helpful.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Excellent, I am surprised as well that they sold you one.

The Leerburg link does have the proper way to fit a prong collar so I would double check just in case the petsmart person was not so smart-I, too, thought their training plan would not allow the prong.

About the main thing you need to watch is not to correct any actual agression directly with the prong but other shenanigans yes. But you mentioned it sounds like you got some good advise. Sometimes Petsmart has folks who know what they are talking about.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-11-2012 at 07:17 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck View Post
to be honest, i'm surprised a petsmart person helped you with a prong collar

they are notorious for not wanting those used.

This is very true and they usually don't allow them in their training courses Maybe they are different everywhere, but I want to say I thought it was a general rule.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Yes, this girl knew what she was talking about I was really impressed. She showed me how to fit and handle the prong just like the leerburg video. She also made sure she saw me take it apart and put it on Thor the right way three times before she would be ok with it.
She also showed me a few tricks with him on his collar before she signed me up for the courses there.
She NEVER mentioned not using a prong during the course. However, I only want to use the prong collar for "Walking" not any other training. I hope to learn some good walking skills there and hope they let me use the prong collar because it worked like a charm last night.
If petsmart sells something, the employees should be knowledgeable about it and help the customer as best they can while leaving their personal opinion out unless asked.
I asked the trainer her opinion and she never just offered it up unwarranted.
But now that everyone mentions it, the first girl I asked was pretty rude to me. she told me to go wait in the section and shed send someone over, she looked disgusted with me but i just thought it was about how ugly i am.
thor has to have a smaller collar to get the longer prongs cause of ALL his neck fur.
I am very pleased with the girl who helped us out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page