Fetch. Will this work for me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Fetch. Will this work for me?

Hi everyone, my boy is six months now, i've been trying to get him to fetch in a thousand different ways and finally found one that works (kinda at least)

I hold a tug and a tennisball, throw the tennisball and my dog goes after it, once he gets a hold of the ball i lure (dont know if i spelled that right) him back with the tug. He'll let the ball go to play ToW with me.

Here's my question. There is NO way he lets go of the tug, i have to let him win, pick up the tennisball, toss it up and down till he drops the tug then i throw the tennisball and pick up the tug to start over.

I heard you're not supposed to let your dog win the ToW game every time so i'm worried i might teach him something that's wrong?

Thx in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

You have the right idea, but you can try trading the tug for a treat he loves. Hold the treat close enough so that as soon as he drops the tug you can put the treat right in his mouth. Only use that fabulous treat for when you're playing fetch and eventually you can give the drop it command. Once he learns that you can use the command when you're playing tug- I say 'that's enough', cross my arms and look away and Stosh knows the game is over
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thx for the reply!

I tried with the treat like you say, he just won't let the tug go..
any toy he will let go for the treat isn't goed enough to bring the ball back
I'll go scouting for even better treats and see if that works.

You mean i have to trade the treat for the tug without giving a command?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I got some help this weekend on some release drills by having two tugs. Stop play. hold up 2nd tug. Say out when first tug drops. Repeat repeat repeat. then say out and give tug when he drops it.

Also you can play two ball and that helps. Just google it - the game has been out there for a long time.

My own dog won't take a treat when we are playing fetch or tug though he will at other times.

Also got some advice on not being mauled by the dog trying to grab the tug......and only having him take it when a say he can. I have a new phrase "my ball" (We play with a ball on a string a lot) which means "back off and let me get it"

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

By end play, do you mean let the tug go (= letting him win)? Because he drops the tug as soon as i let go of it and start tossing the ball up and down..

I read about the 2 Ball method and tried it but i just couldn't get him to come back to me..

Thx for the reply(s) !
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Let the tug go. Show him 2nd tug. That way you can do it rapid fire with the outing without having a fetch in between to just train the out. The tug seems higher value for him.

I have never had two ball fail me. But then I always started in an inside hallway with a younger puppy.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

If i let the tug go then he will drop it when i show the ball and the other way around too. It's just when i hold the other end he won't, the tugging is way more fun for him so i'm not quite sure how to transfer the drop to let go while i'm holding it
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

LOL @ "rapid fire" btw
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
If i let the tug go then he will drop it when i show the ball and the other way around too. It's just when i hold the other end he won't, the tugging is way more fun for him so i'm not quite sure how to transfer the drop to let go while i'm holding it
It gets easier if you do it with a lot of repetitions pairing the command with him dropping it. If you are tugging on it he won't out. Have you tried holding him by the collar, releasing the tension, than asking for out? (First does he know what the word actually means?)

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

He definitly does NOT know what "drop it" means, i just went outside and tried some "rapid fire" . He drops it every time and i say drop it while he does so i'll keep it at that for a few days and try to build the command. I used to yell drop it when i wanted him to let someting go while tugging untill someone made it all clear to me, this is what he said: "The dog doesnt know what drop it means so actually you are learning him tot hold tight when you say drop it".. a light went on and it all started making sense to me since then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page