How do you get that perfectly trained dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

How do you get that perfectly trained dog?

I have a 11 month old shep she is solid on many commands she loves training and I do too. Her list of commands are sit, down ,wait, stand, leave it, come, off, enough, paw, up, go to blanket, get out, whoa, look, get the ball/it, find it, and around (she spins).

She also will wait and do the sit and down from a distance. I can have her wait and walk around her and turn my back and walk away. She will wait at the open door. She is good. She kind of knows heel that's so hard for her because she has so much energy we will get there with time. She does walk well on a leash but not right at my side yet.

How do you get your dog so well trained that if you say sit from any place in the yard they sit? How do you get your dog to NOT RUN AFTER Small animals? When off leash my dogs knows Whoa means slow down she is good at that. She will even whoa and I can tell her to wait for me off leash. BUT if there is another dog or animals everything she knows is out the window. But her recall is good she always comes back.

How do I get that perfectly trained dog? I think time and constancy is the key.

My main thing is getting a good heel off leash. I got the off leash heel with my old dog but I used the chock chain and it took a year to get there. I want my dog to listen to my commands when tempted by a small animal. How do I do that? I am thinking life rewards. Example I make her wait then let her chase the animals if it's safe. that the ultimate reward right.

Sorry for the blabbing.

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue

Last edited by Pepper311; 03-27-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

She is still just a baby. Keep up the work you are doing and she will get there with time.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
She is still just a baby. Keep up the work you are doing and she will get there with time.
Is it that easy. At what age do dogs really seem to get it? I feel like she will never listen if there is a small animal on the move.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 AM

I know I am a "newbie" on the forum, but I will weigh in here.
I think the other comment(s) were spot on.
I used to raise and traing heeler breeds (blue and red).
Talk about a drive to chase!!
I always told folks that got heelers to understand that to chase/ follow was in their blood, and rather than try to stifle it/ control it, to enhance it by looking for ways to train the chase/ herding instinct.
If my guess is correct, you will see other GSD owners that know WAY more about the breed than I do say the same....that it's in the blood, and something you will have to work diligently on.
I must admit, I am very impressed with the training you have done thus far, and I have no doubt that with your level of diligence, you will get there!
Hope this helped in some way.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Elite Member

It is very simple! First you define your expectation of a perfectly trained dog in detail, for example item 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on. Now you break the different items apart and train the behavior required to fulfill each item one by one (takes about 200-300 repetitions for each item so be patient and keep the course). Takes about 2-3 years to get there depending on your definition of perfection, but very doable.

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Packen; 03-27-2012 at 01:50 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

This is not my first dog. But it is my first dog I got at a young age. My others have been rescues or package deal. I married a man with 2 dogs. This is my first pup first blank slate.

Thanks. Yes the drive is some thing I am learning to Try and control but not discourage.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
It is very simple! First you define your expectation of a perfectly trained dog in detail, for example item 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on. Now you break the different items apart and train the behavior required to fulfill each item one by one (takes about 200-300 repetitions for each item so be patient and keep the course). Takes about 2-3 years to get there depending on your definition of perfection, but very doable.
Thanks that makes sence.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 AM

Please keep the thread going, Pepper.
I'm learning from you and definitely taking notes!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Crowned Member

The hardest thing with your first dog is not to teach that many things, but focus in proofing every behavior until you know it is completely reliable.

I think that not only the dogs need to mature, but also I've matured with each dog I've owned. My Border Collie could do a hundred things and they learn so fast that it was a real game to teach new stuff, but I could trust her to perform only a bunch of the outside the house and for all of them the dog needed a lot of clues from me to understand what I was asking, simply because each exercise was not well taught and there were too many doubts and grey areas inside her brain.

With my new pup I spent the first year working on focus and a bit of heeling. At 18 months old he knows to do about 5 things and is not even ready for his BH, but I know with certainty that no matter where we are and what distraction in the surroundings if I give a command compliance is immediate, happy and with far less stress for him.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Elite Member

Here is how I have handled the prey/chasing squirrels drive. As a puppy, if he saw something small/quick or large/ fast that got his attention..I would quickly divert his attention to me with treats/fun/games/chasing me. Did this all the time. I do let him run off leash in a five acre woods, but at first he drug the leash. I could grab or step on the leash if he started to chase something and quickly call him/treat/play.As you are loose leash walking, do lots of games where you let him get ahead of you..call his name, run backward with a treat, then lots of praise when he arrives. Try to do this without leash pressure. Do this over and over.

I do let him chase squirrels (he wears a bell to give a fair warning, lol), but only after I tell him "Squirrells!". Otherwise, he still defers to me if he sees something he might want to chase,,he asks first.

Does that makes sense? I have taught him basically to redirect to me if when he sees "prey". But, I do allow him to chase, on my terms. We also play lots of games with a toy tied to a horses lunge whip to let him get out his prey drive.

Starting as a puppy and being consistent is key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page