How do i get my girl to walk on a leash without dragging me!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

How do i get my girl to walk on a leash without dragging me!!

I love my Izzy to death but she is already dragging me! I have to solve this problem before it gets to be too much for me to handle. How in the world do i get her to walk beside me and not bark at every dog she sees.

-Brandi-

Joey-Pomeranian-10/20/2009
Isabella- GSD- 12/14/11
Lacy and Miss Kitty- feline friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Crowned Member

Dogs drag us on leash because we follow them!

When my boy was a pup as soon as he would start to pull, I would stop. So he started to catch on that if he wanted to enjoy his walk he could not make it to the end of the leash, walk over, now we are sitting. They catch on fast but it takes consistency on our part

Have you enrolled in any group training classes yet?

Izzy is a beautiful puppy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 AM

Redirection!

Once your pup decides to take off and start dragging, turn around quickly and walk the other way.

Keep doing this as long as theyre pulling.

It may take you 15 minutes to walk the length of a block, but after a while your pup should realize that they shouldn't be walking in front of you.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with other advice as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Im going to go for a walk tonight and try it. I have a feeling its going to take a looong time I havent put her in classes yet, i am stil ltrying to find one around here. The only thing they really have is at petsmart and im not too sure about them.

-Brandi-

Joey-Pomeranian-10/20/2009
Isabella- GSD- 12/14/11
Lacy and Miss Kitty- feline friends
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

It does work but it just takes a lot of patience. As said, consistency is the key to just about everything and consistency CAN be inconvenient to you at times.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
Thanks guys! Im going to go for a walk tonight and try it. I have a feeling its going to take a looong time I havent put her in classes yet, i am stil ltrying to find one around here. The only thing they really have is at petsmart and im not too sure about them.
GSD are very smart, even as puppies as little as they are. Dare I say they can be master manipulators if we allow them! LOL

Having said that, it's very easy to train them on the basics, they catch on quick & it can be frustrating at times. I always pictured those out of control dogs and that was motivation to keep going, it's a pleasure to own a well mannered dog.

Once you build a strong foundation it's amazing what these dogs can do!

Good luck with your walk tonight
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Master Member

Brandy, this is a great website with LOTS of info. I suggest that you use the search function and you will find exhaustive threads on walking, heeling, and all sorts of other questions you'll have. And that is sure a beautiful pup!

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Elite Member

here's some tips:

How to train your dog not to pull- Loose Leash Walking - YouTube

Last edited by GregK; 03-26-2012 at 11:45 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Elite Member

As everyone said read the site there is tons of information. Personally the stop/go thing never worked for us AT ALL at 16 months it's still a work in progress for us since loose leash is my weak point as a trainer and we don't have much for training around here either.

One thing I would say is if you can't find absolutely anything else I would still do a petsmart but go speak with the trainers. Sometimes they may have a decent trainer I know ours actually has one lady I like who seems to know what she's doing at least for the basic stuff. A simple petsmart class is better then nothing at least for a foundation and introduction to a class environment. Have you check the AKC website for trainers in your area or breed club website ukc website some of those will generally have links to places in your area for training. Or ask people here for recommendations.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmeshx2 View Post
As everyone said read the site there is tons of information. Personally the stop/go thing never worked for us AT ALL at 16 months it's still a work in progress for us since loose leash is my weak point as a trainer and we don't have much for training around here either.
I taught our 5 yr old rescue to walk on a loose lead in no time with the stop /go method. But timing is everything. Basically you dog wants to go for a walk and he'll soon figure out that the only way he is going anywhere is if he stays by your side.

Use a 6ft leash - and the second his shoulders are level with your knee - stop - your dog will more than likely carry on until he hits the end of the leash - that's fine - but you must remain static, do not pull him, yank him or call him. Just stand still. Your dog will more than likely pull even more to start with, but provided you don't move, he'll get bored and come back to you. The second he's back with you - walk on as you praise him. His reward is being allowed to move forward. He will very soon realise - he only gets to go anywhere if he is by you side. Be consistant and patient and it will work - quicker than you think.

It's important that you do not wait until he hits the end of the leash and then stop. Don't get me wrong that will work - eventually, but it's a lot harder that way.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page