So it would appear Tucker *can* scale a five foot fence... now what? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

So it would appear Tucker *can* scale a five foot fence... now what?

I just had my yard fenced with five foot chain link. I've had the dogs outside with me a lot since it was installed -- Wednesday of last week I think it was. We've spent hours upon hours out there, no problem. I am always out there with them because I want to deal with *any* fence jumping or digging under stuff ASAP. Not one of the dogs has tried to jump up or dig, so that's great.

Tonight, out of nowhere, an escaped border collie mix of some kind came running up to my yard when three of my dogs were out with me. It came right up to the fence, barking and pretty nutty. The owner was a few minutes behind the dog, so Bailey and Tucker were getting pretty worked up with this other dog on the other side of the fence growling and barking at them. My boyfriend and I were just kind of like, HUH? and not really knowing just how to control all of this. It is very rare to have an offleash dog around here.

Bailey was barking, but Tucker was REALLY getting worked up. He wanted access to that dog pretty bad and that dog was just really goading him on.

The bf tried to get control of Tucker by the collar, but Tucks twisted and literally went straight up?! The bf reached out and got him down to the ground, (hard to explain,) but bottom line is if he hadn't done that, Tucker would've probably been over the fence. The experience showed us Tucker can get over a five foot fence. Bailey never tried to jump up.

The owner came running up apologizing and so on... and explained the dog had been a farm dog and he had just gotten the dog. He said, "I thought I could let him offleash to potty in that field, but he just took off!" Ok, "that field" is MY property. I am going to post no trespassing signs tomorrow. I should've done that long ago, but it's never been a problem. I was sure ready to explain that to him, but it was chaotic and he leashed up the dog and led him away... right down, again, into my property as he left.

Ok, so things calmed down... and who returns? Same dog! The bf had taken Tucker inside to calm down, but Bails was still out there and a little barking nonsense re-started. Yet again, the young man leashed the dog up and led it away. (Down into my field again) Then he apparently needed to answer his cell phone and as I watched him trying to talk on the phone and control this dog, the collar snapped and the dog was loose yet again. Right back to my fence line. Once again he leashed the dog up, all the while on his blankety-blank phone and once again, retreating down into my field.

They didn't come back again.

That dog will surely be back.

Now I'm feeling paranoid because I'm going to be out in my yard all the time with my dogs, and if I'm alone, what will I do if Tucker goes nutball like that and does get over the fence?

I'm not even sure what I'm asking here for advice? But does anyone have any?

PS - I should say both Bailey and Tucker are very dog-friendly. Tucker just gets very, very excitable and doesn't have any training behind him for control. I was able to distract Bailey completely with some hotdogs and obedience commands... Tucker is not that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
At the very least, I would keep a leash handy. Do you think you could clip it onto his collar when he was worked up?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Hotwire? Usually all it takes is one or two zaps and you can leave the wire up so they still think its hot but actually turn it off. Worked great with a boxer digger we used to have. He would see a wire and wouldn't get near it even 10 years later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
At the very least, I would keep a leash handy. Do you think you could clip it onto his collar when he was worked up?
He's crazy leash-reactive. Makes him pull 100 times harder, but I could try to plant my butt on the ground and get dragged... better than him going over the fence if this dog comes back. I always have a leash handy. I might just have him drag a leash in the yard for the next little while, until we figure out if this other dog is going to keep coming back. No doubt in my mind, if that dog gets the chance, he's comin' right back up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Hotwire? Usually all it takes is one or two zaps and you can leave the wire up so they still think its hot but actually turn it off. Worked great with a boxer digger we used to have. He would see a wire and wouldn't get near it even 10 years later.
Not my first preference, but I might have to try it.

I could be wrong and maybe the dog will never come back.. but I'd rather be prepared. I don't think the dog is a mean dog, just really hyped up. The owner, a young kid, said he was a farm dog, and he's definitely at least part Border Collie, so he's probably used to having lots of space to roam and run, and now here he is, trying to learn boundaries and being on a leash.

Hopefully no one will be offended by me saying that I seriously doubt this young man is prepared to properly exercise a border collie mix. Considering he felt his cell phone call was more important than securing his dog, I don't have much faith here.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Crowned Member

Hotwire. Cheap, easy, and effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Elite Member

Sorry to say but you may have to train that BC to stay away from your fence. You could get a hose with a super strong sprayer on it, the fire hose type from a big box place is usually pretty good. But if your dogs like to play with the hose then it will get them psyched up even more, if your dogs don't particularly like the hose then it's a good back up option.
At my house a throw chain is the quickest thing in a situation like that. You could also get some pepper spray to spray the other dog (if you can do it without hitting your dog). If you don't want to do that, you can get a spray bottle and fill it with water and add some vinegar or lemon juice to it. Not my favorite thing, but look at the big picture, this dog agitating your dogs to the point of them getting into a fight with each other or them getting out and getting into it with the other dog is a really bad outcome, a little vinegar or lemon juice as a last resort may be your best on hand in the heat of the moment.
As to your bf, grabbing the collar just amps up the dog. It's the same way you do beginner agitation in protection work, show the dog something to kick in their prey drive and then hold them back. Watch the drive dial straight up!
If the situation is truly at defcon 5 and you MUST get the dog away from the fence or they actually get into a fight, then treat it like a dog fight. Grab the dog by the tail and swing the dog airplane style away from the fence or just pull slowly back if that will work. Keep that in mind if you are ever in a situation where they get into it with that dog, DO NOT stick your hands or arms in there!

The hotwire may be your quickest and best solution, just offering some other ideas.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If the dog is worked up and in drive, a hotwire may not solve your problem. I had one go right through a CATTLE hot wire, taking and ignoring the full hit, which is a bit stronger than one for dogs.

She was in drive and chasing a goat....a dog in drive like that may not feel the pain. I might consider other options such as putting an inward slanted top so he could not go over, or leaving him in a covered pen while you are gone.

I think you might need to look at some serious training such as Lou Castles ecollar techniques..

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Crowned Member

I'm thinking less visual would work, so some kind of slates that go into the fence so dogs don't see each other, but that isn't going to help if the other dog is barking up a storm. You had pretty good timing getting that fence because imagine if the fence wasn't there yet

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Elite Member

Glad my neighbors aren't on this forum....so I can tell you what I do

Our neighbor's gf moved in with her dog...it is about 10 lbs at most, blind, and very fear aggressive. However she charges our fence line and tries to bite through it. I started having the hose ready and as soon as she started she'd get a nice face full of water. She usually stays away from the fence line now.
You can also buy the slanted tops that go on top of chain link at a Lowe's or Home Depot. Wish I knew what they were called....they latch onto the chain link, and slant inwards......you could always just attach the hotwire to those. That way the entire fence isn't "hot" but if they make it to the top...they'll want back down, and think twice.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Master Member

Slanting inward will keep your dog in but may not keep other critters out (I was considering using outward slanting fence to keep coyotes out, but realize it may not keep Rey in). I've been looking at multiple designs to keep coyotes out, as they can also scale a 6' fence pretty easily. A guy on one of these threads a few days ago showed a picture of his own version of a "coyote roller." He slit a black drain pipe and topped the fence with it. Though a dog can leap 5-6', to gain momentum to propel outward it has to have a foothold on top of the fence to get over it. Something like that would work both in and out. You may want to look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page