Avoiding Snakes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Avoiding Snakes

So moving to Florida last fall from a place where we had no worries of snakes, I'm beginning to get pretty worried now that it is that time they come out of hiding. The two main species we have in our area are cottonmouths and pigmy rattlers. What is the easiest, quickest, but effective way to train your dog to avoid them?

I was thinking about having someone with a fishing pole with a plastic snake tied to the end, cast it and slowly real it up, while I, once my dog sees the snake, call her and then treat her. Any other suggestions? Is there a way I could train her without using the help of someone else since it is difficult to motivate someone to help me train. I also have a one year son and I was hoping maybe she could somehow alert me if she sees a snake, since we all go and play in our fenced in backyard everyday.

Also, does anyone know what effect these snakes would have if my pup ever did get bit. I do have the emergency vet number that carries anti-venom, but I was just wondering, I guess, how lethal their bite is. Will it kill her or have permanent effects on her even if I do get the anti-venom in time? Thanks for all your help in advance!

GSD - Misty (12/25/10)
Sphynx cat - Fenix (~July 08')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

IMO the best way is to take a rattlesnake avoidance class. Typically it's one session + 1 free follow-up session. Much more effective then anything you could teach yourself (a real snake does not smell like plastic ) and way better at prevention then the ridiculous rattlesnake vaccine. The rattlesnake vaccine was also only formulated against the Western Diamondback and no other species that I am aware of. Every possible rattlesnake bite should be seen immediately. Typically you will see (very bad) swelling where they were bitten. Bloodwork is typically run to see if venom was injected and anti-venom (which is very expensive) will be used. I haven't heard of a dog dying from a rattlesnake bite yet at my clinic, but we've seen several bites in the last year. Remember that baby rattlers are more dangerous then adults.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11

Last edited by Verivus; 03-25-2012 at 05:00 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

Do you know if those classes work for other snakes, or just rattlers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Do you know if those classes work for other snakes, or just rattlers?
Hm. Good question. I would think it would, because minus the rattler I'm assuming they generally look and act similarly and possibly smell similarly. A good question to ask the trainer.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 PM

the rattlesnake class I have taken they use sight sound and smell the also use the types of snakes that are in my area which are the western diamond back,mojave green and southern pacific
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Some of it depends on where, in Florida, you live too. I grew up on Merritt Island (well Jr High and High School) which is also a wildlife refure area and never saw a snake in the developed areas. Now outside of them...gators and what not. And certainly on the trails etc.

Copperheads are more of a nuisance than the others and pretty much it is antibiotics, anthiistamines and observation. The worst ones are the babies as they don't meter their venom. They are pretty much odifierous. Most dogs get bit nosing around them and messing with them. We get a lot of those......

Cottonmouths will coil up and warn you. And they have a nasty bite--the older ones are more savvy but the younger ones can be very agressive.

I don't know about the rattlers.....but they tend to be pretty dangerous, too.

Fenced yard.....I would be doing things to minimize hiding places for snakes. No fish ponds (they like to eat the frogs and what nots)......and do a quick sweep before you go out with the dog...

Also be nice to the scarlet king snakes and black snakes because they EAT the poisonous ones.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page