Shadow is lunging when he is on his line - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Shadow is lunging when he is on his line

Shadow is our 1 year 6 month old GS who has gained a nasty habit of jumping up onto people , but only when he is on his line in the yard. when he is off he acts perfectly obedient.

He is put on the line because he has a bad habit of chasing our car as we pull off, and he enjoys jumping the fence to explore.

We are not sure how to handle this because he isn't responding well to training when he is on his line.

side info- he has 55 feet of line, very close to his dog house

He knows sit, stay, laydown, go to bed, come, walks well on a leash, and other small tricks
Which is why this behavior is so odd to us.

All comments are welcome and appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow Jan 2102-6.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	15550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow Jan 2012-3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	15551  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

Tying a dog out on a line is a really really really bad idea. Dogs that are normally friendly can become aggressive over time when they're tied out. I personally know of two dogs who have strangled to death when they were left out on a line. I know of a third dog that became so tangled in her line that she couldn't reach her water on a hot July day. As you've already discovered, there is no way to train a dog to behave on a line when you are not home.

I would strongly encourage you to bring Shadow into the house. How is he supposed to protect your family and home if he's tied in the yard? How is he supposed to be a member of the family? House dogs are the best dogs by far.

If keeping him in the house just isn't an option, please neuter him if he's not already, and then take a long hard look at how you can improve your fence so he can't escape. Maybe a hot wire across the top and bottom?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

I have a dog(not a shepherd) that is much smaller then Shadow that snapped the line in half when she got scared of a hot air balloon that was right over her. I wouldn't advise a line either without supervision, best place is in the house in a crate if he can't be trusted

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM

First off...wow what a beautiful dog!!! Love the black sable I would put a hot wire around the top and bottom of your fence. You have to do both becasue if they really want out they will dig to avoid the top wire. We went through that with our Golden Ret. years ago. He was climbing so I put a top wire...then he started digging. He had never dug before. They work and are not hard to install. The other option would be a nice kennel but depending on what you want to spend the electric fence is a lot cheaper. At the gates I only used a top wire with gate handle for easy access and I installed some pavers under the gate to stop digging there. Thankfully we have a tall fence now and our GSD does not try to get out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page