come command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

come command

We have been having a hard time teaching the come command...when we have teats she comes, but if we don't have them she runs the opposite way....at a park or open field its extremely aggravating....we let her off leash and without a treat the only way to get her to coffee is with a stick...she sees out and comes running...Isis is now almost seven . How do we get her to come??.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

The "front" command is a good command to teach. I think the come is used too often and might confuse them. If I counted how many times I used come or come here for everything for my dog it would be overwhelming..come here to eat, come here to go out, come here to give medicine, come here to give a treat and so on. Sometimes dogs will associate come with something not great happening when they do come--example getting nails cut, ears cleaned etc. The front command brings them right to you and ends in a sit..wonderful command to learn

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Crowned Member

To clarify your post GSD84, your pup is 7 months, not 7 years.
I would not let a 7 month old off leash in a park. Baby pups are much easier to train off leash because they want to be with their people....at 7 months if this isn't already trained, you should keep her on a line for her own safety. Practice restrained recalls and never ever reprimand her when she comes to you(after blowing you off) In your presence should be her favorite place to be.
Instead of using the word come, use here and the front as described above is great.
Teach this with a 20 or 30 foot line.
Are you in any training classes?

Now that teething is done, tug or a ball on a string to keep her engaged with you can be replaced from offering treats. Because playing with you is much more fun than eating a little treat that you've offered.

Watch these FREE clips for tips on engagement/tug play~ There are several clips/pages to view: Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Videos

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
The "front" command is a good command to teach. I think the come is used too often and might confuse them. If I counted how many times I used come or come here for everything for my dog it would be overwhelming..come here to eat, come here to go out, come here to give medicine, come here to give a treat and so on. Sometimes dogs will associate come with something not great happening when they do come--example getting nails cut, ears cleaned etc. The front command brings them right to you and ends in a sit..wonderful command to learn
Very true! never thought of that....i do use come for everything...will try front....and to clarify Isis is 7 months not 7 weeks or yrs...was typing from my phone sorry...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
To clarify your post GSD84, your pup is 7 months, not 7 years.
I would not let a 7 month old off leash in a park. Baby pups are much easier to train off leash because they want to be with their people....at 7 months if this isn't already trained, you should keep her on a line for her own safety. Practice restrained recalls and never ever reprimand her when she comes to you(after blowing you off) In your presence should be her favorite place to be.
Instead of using the word come, use here and the front as described above is great.
Teach this with a 20 or 30 foot line.
Are you in any training classes?

Now that teething is done, tug or a ball on a string to keep her engaged with you can be replaced from offering treats. Because playing with you is much more fun than eating a little treat that you've offered.

Watch these FREE clips for tips on engagement/tug play~ There are several clips/pages to view: Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Videos
thanks...going to check out that video....also on another topic was wondering what should i do with her biting. i thought her teething was done but everytime we go to play with her she chomps down on us...sometimes a little too hard....is this normal play?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

She needs to get out her oral need...tug is a great way to get it out. This is my dog's favorite :
Synthetic Tug 12"-Elite K-9 Let her win and run her around in a circle on a leash after she's won. Then engage her for more play...
She should be done teething by 7 months...the back molars are probably still coming in, but the front teeth should be good to go for a bit of tug.
There is a great site for renting training videos too...
BowWowFlix.com: Dog DVD Rentals | Dog Training Dvd | Dog Dvds | Rent Dog Videos I take advantage of it!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
She needs to get out her oral need...tug is a great way to get it out. This is my dog's favorite :
Synthetic Tug 12"-Elite K-9 Let her win and run her around in a circle on a leash after she's won. Then engage her for more play...
She should be done teething by 7 months...the back molars are probably still coming in, but the front teeth should be good to go for a bit of tug.
There is a great site for renting training videos too...
BowWowFlix.com: Dog DVD Rentals | Dog Training Dvd | Dog Dvds | Rent Dog Videos I take advantage of it!
thanks she loves tug!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page