Would like your suggestion: - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Would like your suggestion:

Kira is 7 months today. I've been doing the best I can to enforce a strong basic obedience foundation, and I feel so far, so good.

I'm a bit confused about using a proper approach to this particular command:

Kira's sit / stay / wait / down are strong. I can issue anytime, and get excellent results.

I've been working on a "drop or down" command with hand signals from a short distance.

Right now, from up to about 100', I can easily say her name, wave my arm in a swift downward motion, and she'll drop.
The way I taught her this, is by calling her on recall (this is where I feel I made a mistake), and while she was on her way to me, I would randomly issue the "down", with the hand signal.

Now, if I issue her recall, she's very confused. She would approach me, and when she gets into the "down zone", she would go down, get up, go down, get up, and approach me with the "I;m not sure what to do look" on her face.

I would like to correct this, but don't know how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Elite Member

I've made the same mistake in similar commands. Or I should say, my daughter has. She has a habit of giving all the commands that she knows the dogs know, in a row, to get a treat. So now when she tells them to sit; they sit, sit pretty, lay down, roll over, get up, turn, offer a paw and speak.
I think (I could be wrong) but you have to, in a sense, start over. Did you possibly over-train the "down"? You said randomly, but was it more often than not?

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

i have a hand signal for come, stop/wait, down
and sit. if i want my dog to come i wave my arm
towards me. for stop/wait i placed i my arm straight out
in front of me with my palm up. for down i use to place
my right hand on my left shoulder and swing my arm
across my body while pointing to the ground. for sit
i use my right hand palm up and raise my hand up. i think
Kira is confused about what you're asking her to do. i'm
thinking if you have a hand signal for each command it might
help. when i was teaching my dog hand signals i didn't do
all of them in the same session.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM

so if I'm understanding this right, (and hey good for you and her for teaching a drop on recall!!) You want to be able to just recall without her being confused at a certain point or should I say ANTICIPATING that drop command..

If so,,back up or should I say,,start by being closer to her, like 5 feet, have her doing her sit/down stay/wait whatever, do the recall, praise good recall,,start working your distance slowly..

I agree with the above, she's rather confused you probably have your distance to great at this point, and she is also ANTICIPATING that down on recall.

I'd work on the recall only for a few days, don't push your distance so far, and then start mixing it up..IF you think she's reverting back to that down on recall when you only want a recall, as soon as she looks like she is going to down or hesitating, I 'd turn around and RUN calling her to you...

Ok just some ideas

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM

If you have a command a negative marker, such as no try again, give that right when she slows down. Do a bunch o regular recalls, starting short and gettif longer. Also, do the positions at a distance and recall after that.
Then try a heel or walking and give her a down/ stay and walk a few steps then recall. The confusion comes from training the new behavior without balancing in the old. Shouldn't be too hard to clear up for the dog
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
so if I'm understanding this right, (and hey good for you and her for teaching a drop on recall!!) You want to be able to just recall without her being confused at a certain point or should I say ANTICIPATING that drop command..

If so,,back up or should I say,,start by being closer to her, like 5 feet, have her doing her sit/down stay/wait whatever, do the recall, praise good recall,,start working your distance slowly..

I agree with the above, she's rather confused you probably have your distance to great at this point, and she is also ANTICIPATING that down on recall.

I'd work on the recall only for a few days, don't push your distance so far, and then start mixing it up..IF you think she's reverting back to that down on recall when you only want a recall, as soon as she looks like she is going to down or hesitating, I 'd turn around and RUN calling her to you...

Ok just some ideas

This is exactly what i would have done!

Jo
Kitty 10/1990-10/23/08 kitty rip
Koda 1/20/00-10/03/09 gsd rip.
Kassie 6/1/08 kitty
Zorro VomTraumhof-1/3/11-gsd,Ob101,CGC,RN,RA
Ryker 2/20/10-gsd "Poseidon VomTraumhof"
VP5 3-6 mo. confm.VP1
6-9 mo.confrm.
AKC S.T.A.R pup,Obed.101, CGC.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

I would work on the recall in motion 1,000% first -- so strong that if the dog were to rush out of fear or panic , you still have her - I like the cake made before icing
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Elite Member

agree on backing it up some. I know when I teach Jinx something new I have a tendency to practice the new a bunch and not throw in enough of the old so things that are similar she starts to override the old with the new. Like with you she had good recall then you did the drop in motion and now she does that instead of the regular recall instead of doing both (happens to me alot dont feel bad lol)

Not much advice on it because I can't even get her to do the drop in motion she runs to me and then does the command lol can get her to stop running to me but if when she stops I say sit or platz she will finish running to me then do it even though she will sit and platz from a distance so long as it's from a stay position So Kuddos to you on this one I know you like to second guess yourself but remember shes young and you are doing GREAT so far!

Only thing I can think of is when you see her start hesitating start running backwards and get more excited to keep her running towards you. basically run backwards start clapping acting like a dork with "YAY good girl, good come" or whatever you use so she knows you want her to continue coming. Also mix the 2 up (straight recall and recall with the drop) so she can't keep anticipating the next step (sometimes not so easy having an overly smart pup is it? lol) and possibly throwing in a hand sign so for now she knows no hand sign is regular recall and if dads gonna drop me he will put his hand up or something like that?

Jinx vom Wildhaus
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Elite Member

There are two things here:

1. She's confused, and I think people have given you excellent advice so far. Remember that a drop-on-recall is a composition of two exercises - recall and down. I would work on making sure each of those is very solid and clear in her head. Down command (with or without hand signal, or the command could be a hand signal (although I wouldn't recommend just using the signal for obvious reasons - she may not always be looking)) should be taught separately from the recall - maybe once she learned the drop-on-recall you started only using it during a recall? I would back both of these up and work on making the separate commands clear in her head before using them together.
2. She could be anticipating the down. A good example is a dog that anticipates the recall from a down and starts creeping forward, twitching around, and generally not sitting still. He may get up and start to run towards you before the command, etc. Maybe you were constantly (or mostly) recalling her and rewarding the down not the recall , she wants to get the reward faster so she may down before the command is given. I wouldn't reward this, instead I would encourage her to get back up and come towards me (no reason to get mad, she's not defying you she's just confused - try to remember that when it happens ) and then reward the recall. Then I would _slowly_ re-introduce the down but since she's anticipating I would start by adding (and rewarding) the down maybe every 4-5th recall, etc etc.

You need to keep her guessing and be consistently inconsistent

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 01-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post

Ok just some ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page