Too Busy to Train - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Too Busy to Train

OK, don't flame me for being too busy to train. But I actually am. I usually repeat and name the good behavior and Rasa did and Nimai picks up on it FAST. It took 3 repeats of "treat" and 5 repeat sessions of "elevator" or "lets go" to get what I want.

So Nimai is a fairly fast learner, WHEN HE WANTS TO BE. He has not learned (rather applied) "Stay" nor "Come back" "leash", etc, especially when he has something better to do, such as sniffing new territory, chasing, acting stupid on walks. (after all he is 12 months old).

I need to teach these things to save his life from cars and other dangers, quickly. There are almost no cars around here, but my track record shows that there are just enough.

So, do electronic collars work? Or should I start clicker? Again don't chastise me too hard as I really need to get these commands down and fast, with little effort.
He is with me 24/7 so I have a lot of undedicated time with him. Walks 3-5 times a day, up and down around the shop 10+ times a day, etc.

Suggestions?

francis

Last edited by adas; 01-07-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

I'm confused as to why you have time for up to 5 walks a day, going to a shop 10 plus times a day, and lots of undedicated time (by this I take it to mean time that isn't devoted to something in particular) but you don't have "time" to train.

Keep your dog on a leash until you find time to train him, so he doesn't get hit by a car (which seems to be your concern, as would be mine with an untrained dog in an unfenced area).
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I'm confused as to why you have time for up to 5 walks a day, going to a shop 10 plus times a day, and lots of undedicated time (by this I take it to mean time that isn't devoted to something in particular) but you don't have "time" to train.

Keep your dog on a leash until you find time to train him, so he doesn't get hit by a car (which seems to be your concern, as would be mine with an untrained dog in an unfenced area).
I'm confused too. Maybe you mean that you do not have the desire to train. And if thats true, then I suggest hiring a trainer. Many will argue that effects the bond, but its certainly a better alternative to ...

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

The 5 walks a day are not dedicated to Nimai. It is time that i need to go and do business so I combine walks/exercise. (walk to post office 2 blocks away, Supervise activities in the shop a few times a day.) These may not be quality times, but he is not locked in a crate all day.

He is on a leash every time we go down the street, cars or no cars and there is no opportunity to run out on the road as he is always with me.

My question is more, "what is the fastest and most effective way to train".

Francis

Last edited by adas; 01-07-2012 at 09:07 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Knighted Member

also in my experience, electronic collars do work. But you will have to be out there with your dog.

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

I think your post is a little confusing. Did you just adopt Nimai, and because he is with you 24/7 you need him trained quickly for his safety within the environment you work in?

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 PM
cta
Master Member

if your dog is with you that much, you definitely have time to train. training sessions don't need to be "formal" you can use any time to teach things to your dog. if you walk him a lot he shouldn't act "stupid" use that time to teach him leash manners. when i walk with my dog, we work on the "look" command or when i stop walking, he stops walking and sits. before we cross the street, i tell him "wait" and he waits until i say it's ok to go. that's huge for keeping a dog out of the street! all these things can be taught while out for walks. and even if you dedicate 10 minutes to working with him in your home (surely you can spare that) he will learn. you have already said he's smart, the fastest and easiest way to train him is to actually DO it!

Chobahn 3/26/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." -Woodrow Wilson
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adas View Post
He is with me 24/7 so I have a lot of undedicated time with him. Walks 3-5 times a day, up and down around the shop 10+ times a day, etc.
Is there any reason you can't train him during this "undedicated" time? Or is the issue that you don't have a place to train?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

Electronics collars are a tool for training, not a quick fix. You still need to train and reinforce with an e-collar. You're not going to be able to just put it on and expect your dog to be "fixed".
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adas View Post
My question is more, "what is the fastest and most effective way to train".
Train WHAT? What are the specific behaviors you want? Coming when called and walking nicely on the leash?

The clicker is excellent for teaching and reinforcing good behaviors in young pups. Once they figure out the system, it's very effective and they can learn quickly with this method.

Since your pup is 12 weeks old, don't even starting thinking about e-collars yet. The fastest and most effective way is not always the best way, IMO. For example, if you put an e-collar on a 12 week old pup and shock him when he runs toward the street, he'll learn to avoid the street right quick, but he'll also learn to avoid other things... like the sidewalk, or going for walks at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page