Training new pup with Harley in house? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Training new pup with Harley in house?

I need some advice. Each time I try to do any training with the new pup, Harley is right there interrupting us. I must add, he is very jealous of the pup, won't let her have any toys or chewys (I bought new ones for both of them). I try separating them, but when I do, the other wants whomever is in the pen. What should i do? I have class for Harley on Thursday, so they get some separation, but not much.
I will take her to class, but they don't have any puppy classes scheduled yet.

Owned by:
Hannah-Toy Poodle-16 years young!
Harley-GSD-12/19/10
Ophelia vom haus Huro (Ziva) GSD 9/2/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Crowned Member

They need to be separated for training. When I train one of my dogs, I either put the other one in the bedroom, or take the one I'm training out into the yard and leave the other one in the house. Much crying and carrying on is done by the one who's left out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Elite Member

I agree separate them while training. Also everyone needs a break from time to time allow them to havetheir alone time with you. Also while they have there alone bring out the toys. Toys or high value items can cause issue between dogs. I have to feed my two separate and play toys separate as well. Happy medium for everyone at my house. You just have to find that at your house. hope this helps.

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleOttoMom View Post
I agree separate them while training. Also everyone needs a break from time to time allow them to havetheir alone time with you. Also while they have there alone bring out the toys. Toys or high value items can cause issue between dogs. I have to feed my two separate and play toys separate as well. Happy medium for everyone at my house. You just have to find that at your house. hope this helps.
I have been separating them when I have ball throwing time with Harley, talk about crying and carrying on! She sure can sound like she is dying! And the toys?! Anything she picks up he decides is his and takes it away from her. I bought both new toys, didn't help. If I put them all away she will chew the furniture, so that is not an option. I feed them separate already. This is all much more than I expected, but not something we cannot overcome. It is overwhelming, but not insurmountable. I guess this is what I get for wanting another dog to play with Harley!

Owned by:
Harley-GSD-12/19/10

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Elite Member

I had the same issue at first with my foster, Tugger. Cheyenne didn't want her toys UNTIL Tugger had one! What I did (based on advice from gsdraven) is to remove all toys for the first several weeks. Then I slowly introduced them. And I introduced 3 at a time, so that one didn't have a toy and the other didn't. We are now at a place where toys can be left out. They still try to steal toys from each other, but without any aggression.

I know it is hard for you because one is a puppy, so they play with toys more frequently. I was a little concerned when I first saw your pictures/videos of them sharing a bone. That would have NEVER flown in this house. Bones are too valuable! Those they only get when crated. You might have to just take a step back and maybe gate off an area where the puppy can go for playtime and not risk Harley getting to the toys? It is challenging...that is for sure!

Oh...and you need to update your signature with your new baby!

-Jessica

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice103 View Post
I had the same issue at first with my foster, Tugger. Cheyenne didn't want her toys UNTIL Tugger had one! What I did (based on advice from gsdraven) is to remove all toys for the first several weeks. Then I slowly introduced them. And I introduced 3 at a time, so that one didn't have a toy and the other didn't. We are now at a place where toys can be left out. They still try to steal toys from each other, but without any aggression.

I know it is hard for you because one is a puppy, so they play with toys more frequently. I was a little concerned when I first saw your pictures/videos of them sharing a bone. That would have NEVER flown in this house. Bones are too valuable! Those they only get when crated. You might have to just take a step back and maybe gate off an area where the puppy can go for playtime and not risk Harley getting to the toys? It is challenging...that is for sure!

I don't think there is really any aggression with the toys, maybe just annoyance? He takes them from her, then he will dangle them in front of her as if to get her to play with him? Only aggression that worries me is when he is with his daddy and she goes near him. I have to keep reminding my husband not to allow Harley to act like that. It will get better with time (I hope). I am glad now I didn't get a full grown dog, I can't imagine what I would have done had Harley started a fight and I have to get in between, especially another male dog.

Owned by:
Harley-GSD-12/19/10

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice103 View Post
I will update my signature when DH and I can agree on a name. I still want to name her Uschi, but he can't get used to saying it. How hard is it to say You She? I've been calling her Uschi/Lucy hoping he will catch on. I love the name, he still wants to call her Molly. It is funny when I call her Lucy and in a latin voice say to her "Lucy, you have some splaining to do"! I used to love that show!

Owned by:
Harley-GSD-12/19/10

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Knighted Member

I have the same situation. My pup is 19 weeks now and my male is 5 years old.
However you do it, I think they need to have separate time.
sometimes we crate the puppy or put her in an outside kennel for a short time. We also have a pen in the kitchen.
They will do all the things you described if given the chance. We mimimize that through separation.
I also take Jack my 5 year old almost everywhere with me. He loves to go and that gives them time to be completely away from each other.
Luckily they play very well together outside so that burns off some excess energy.
It's fun and a pain in the butt at the same time but they really do grow up pretty fast and youwill forget most of this not so fun stuff.
Training one in front of the other does not work for me although they will do some basic stuff together. Like sit, down etc... That's fun to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page