dog parks and beach manners - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

dog parks and beach manners

Hello,

Moved to Orange County, CA with a yard the size of a postage stamp. Leash trained her as a pup and she picked it right back up. Previously had 1 acre and used modified sign language with no leash. She loved the whip-it and tennis balls for exercise. So now I trying to find a place to let her run and fetch that ball she so loves.

She has never been to a dog park or beach so was wondering how to transition her and for me, to do so politely. (when she had to be kenneled I found a place that believed in free range dog groups, where they all play together. She said Meadow was super and did a great job of helping her as a gentle and kind momma dog) So she has been socialized but not a tremendous amount. Non agressive and on the side of submission to sometimes I call her my wimpy girl.

As of today she is still so pre-occupied with all the smells at a park to get her to retrieve anything is useless.

Any suggestions are welcome

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Think I'd start with her onleash and work with her initially.

In the meantime, start up dog classes! Great way to review and test her in a controlled environment with instant assistance and feedback from an instructor.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

hi robin, i took my lexie to the dog park for the first time today. all she did was smell everything and she didnt retrieve the ball either. boy it was freezing here in nj and i wasnt a happy camper when she ignored me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page