Cats! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Cats!

Hi all,

So I have a 3 year old male GSD, I rehomed him from a lady a few weeks ago and bought him back home. I have another dog, who he loves, but I also have 3 cats..

I can't work out whether he's aggressive or just exited.. He'll spot one and stand still until the cat moves, and as soon as she moves, Storm does a normal dog reaction and chases after her and kind of jumps around her and sometimes on her!

My other dog is only 7 months old and I've trained him since a new born to be good with cats, it's just Storm.

Could anyone give me some tips on how to train Storm not to be so boisterous and 'ignore' them? Because it's restricting me from letting him have free run of the house if the cats are indoors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Elite Member

good luck, try keeping him on leash and correcting the first sign of focus, make sure the cats have somewhere safe to get to. The person you got him from did they have cats?? Its very hard to stop chasing cats but you can control inside the house with careful management and control.. Be very on top of it, train him that when he sees a cat he should lie down and STAY!!! That is the only acceptable behavior, and insist on it. When the cats are comfortable and come closer, you will soon discover if he is serious wanting to get them..main thing, TRAINING, LEASH, NO FREEDOM until this is settled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page