How do I teach my dog to NOT try to 'kiss' people? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How do I teach my dog to NOT try to 'kiss' people?

I have a 2.5 year old GSD that has a new habit of jumping up and trying to 'kiss' people that she likes a lot. She doesn't jump ON people. She does this when greeting or when playing with someone's dog. People think it is cute and funny, but I think it is inappropriate. Do you have a training solution for this?
Funny thing is that my last dog (mutt) did the same thing so I must be contributing somehow. Both of them do(did) it so quickly that the person is 'kissed' before it can be stopped. Abby doesn't telegraph it, she just does it and is outa there, THEN gets the NO or OFF. I was thinking of getting an E collar but the expense of that plus the training for its proper use seem a lot for one bad habit. (OK, so I'm a cheapskate)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Knighted Member

You could try spraying bitter apple on your lips

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
You could try spraying bitter apple on your lips
Funnybuzzy
Now THERE's a thought!! And all the people she tries to kiss too.

UNfortunately, she started this when the 3 old ladies we see in the park every day started asking her to give them a kiss.
They would bend over and get their kiss, but as time went by they would have to bend over less and less until Abby
would give them 'drive by' kisses. THEY think it's 'SOOO Sweet' but now Abby is doing it to anyone she likes.
She doesn't dare do it to me or my wife (wonder why).

Last edited by PaddyD; 12-20-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Funnybuzzy
Now THERE's a thought!! And all the people she tries to kiss too.
Sometimes it takes a village to raise a child

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Sometimes it takes a village to raise a child
And 3 old ladies to raise a village idiot.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Crowned Member

Because Hondo is a big boy, people get nervous if he spends a lot of time sniffing on them. If allowed, he'll sniff feet, legs, arms, butts etc. and take his time doing it. I don't want to give him a command that might make the person even more nervous. Say, if I were to say, 'Leave it' or 'Quit'. So I created, "Hondo (that gets his attention) that's rude!" The tone for 'that's rude' is the same tone as 'leave it'.

In the beginning when given the command, if Hondo continued to sniff, I'd remove him and make him lay down and stay by me. Like a time out. This also gives Hondo a chance to disengage from the new person. When I released him he'd go search for something else to do. Sometimes, he'd just get up and move to another area to lay down.

Now, I just say "Hondo, that's rude!" and he'll stop and go lay down.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Knighted Member

My dog Bunny loves to give the kisses too but she understands "No Jumping". As long as I say it before the jump, she won't do it. Does your dog understand anything like that? Otherwise I would suggest putting her back on leash for greetings so that you can prevent/correct the behaviour.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM

lol i have the same problem, Ice jumps on me all the time and I dont mind it at all, actually i like it but i am a fairly big person so I can handle it. He also jumps on few of my friends who actually like it too and pet him when he does that! NOW, the problem comes when he meets my female friends and wants to jump on them!!! he is starting to understand that if i say NO JUMPING before he jumps, he shouldnt and doesnt jump on me. it doesnt work well when he's trying to jump and i say it tho. i gotta work on that!

Ice - 06/02/2010
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Lilie -- Excellent that you found a solution.
Wouldn't work for Abby, as I said, she does it so quickly that it is done and all I can do is scold her afterwards. You never know when it will happen. She has gotten a little better in that I am training the old ladies to help me make her sit and calm down before they do their kissing routine.
I suppose one thing I could to is keep her away from them and maybe, over time, their bad influence (they are in their 70s) will wear off. But she really likes them and will run a couple hundred yards to greet them. If she spots them before I do all bets are off. They have crappy little dogs that do nothing and aren't friendly so they are happy to see an animated, happy GSD.
Sapakus -- she doesn't jump ON people; if she touches them at all it is with the tip of her nose or a quick flying lick.

Last edited by PaddyD; 12-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
My dog Bunny loves to give the kisses too but she understands "No Jumping". As long as I say it before the jump, she won't do it. Does your dog understand anything like that? Otherwise I would suggest putting her back on leash for greetings so that you can prevent/correct the behaviour.
She understands it and is responding to it pretty well, on leash.
When she is playing with other peoples' dogs and we are standing around chatting she will come flying by and give someone a flying lick on the face before anyone knows it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page