Dog doesnt bark enough or hardly - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Dog doesnt bark enough or hardly

My German Sheperd isn't a barker.Shes 2years old and was adopted 2 months ago.Shes great on leash and no aggresion at all.But I would like her to bark when strangers come to the door.Any suggestions.The only time shes barked was first 2 nights in new home in crate and once at my son when he entered room and we corrected her for it.She hasnt barked in a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Count your blessings.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

I for one, am slightly jealous. Our puppy isn't a barker.....but our 9 yr old has days I swear he barks if the wind changes direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Knighted Member

Enjoy the silence while you can. I suspect that there will be barking in the future. Raina just got the point I can tell her to be quiet and she listens to me.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Knighted Member

Try agitating her with a toy or treat (depending on what she is motivated by). Hold it and get her excited, when she makes the slightest noise/bark, give it to her. Keep doing that and you might develop a bark. You can attach a command to it like "speak" or "Gib laut". In my experience, if she isn't a barker, she won't bark like a true barker.

A barker can be a double-edged sword... I can't watch The Animal Channel or any show with a dog because Whiskey will go insane and bark like mad. Certain whisper sounds or thumping noises will set him off also which can suck when you're watching TV late at night and he wakes up the entire household.

Ash

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Knighted Member

My girl only barks when she perceives a threat or to alert me to someone who does not belong near the house. She won't bark when I tease her for a toy. She will bark at a helper who has the sleeve on, however when he is teasing her to get her going, the bark becomes a howl.

My boy learned to bark, Gib Laut, and Revier and one barker is all I need

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

You'll save money on Excederin. I'll bet she finds her voice.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Master Member

When I adopted Blitz he wasn't a barker either, still isn't. Though now he will bark once when there's someone at the door but that's it.

Give her some time, she may start barking more, she may not.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
She may be taking a bit long to get completely relaxed in the household. Enjoy the silence. Mine talks a good bit with the groans, grumbles, sighs etc, but only barks at some thing..... which sometimes I believe he just dreams up

If you really really wanna hear her, find the squirrels and chipmunks or in the case of mine, even planes...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 PM

If you've only had her for 2 months i'd give her more time to "show her colors".
Some dogs bark and some do not, not much you can do about it. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page