help i have a runner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

help i have a runner

I could use some help have searched the site but not finding what I need. My husband and I adopted our dog 3 weeks ago and she has gotten away from 4 times now. It has been a struggle to get her back each time. We try not to chase her we get down and try to calmly call her to us. She will start to come and she then she turns and runs so we have to run because she runs so fast we would never know where she went. We don't know how to get her to come back to us or how to stop the urge to want to run away. So far we have only been able to get her because she gets distracted long enough to catch her or last time she got cornered.

Amber
Rita 7yr old Domestic Shorthair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Master Member

maybe try a leash, and holding it properly?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

Is she getting out of the yard, the house or getting away from you when she is on leash?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Knighted Member

If she is running out of the door when you open it, you need to teach her door manners. Have her sit before she leaves the house and when she comes back in, do not allow her to rush the door. If she has a crate, teach her the same thing coming out of the crate.

If she has poor recall, I recommend doing restrained recalls and recall training on a long line.

If she doesn't have a good recall that you are confident in, she shouldn't be off leash out doors... that is the bottom line.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Knighted Member

I never let an untrained dog off leash. Until recall is 100% solid, never let your dog go off leash in an unfenced area. It's an easy recipe for trouble. If she bolts out the door, put her in her crate before you open the door. If your yard is unfenced, you should take her out on a leash for potty and walks. If your yard is fenced and she is jumping it, you should get get a taller, more secure fence. If she slips out of the collar, use a martingale or prong collar that tightens as she struggles. Even in fenced in areas, I never let a dog go off leash till it learns recall. The dog drags around a long line until recall is set so I can easily catch it if need be.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Get a second collar and make sure she is hooked to both, using two leashes, each hooked to a collar. Make the second collar either a training collar (choke chain) or a prong collar.
Or make the second 'collar' a harness.
Follow any advice about bonding and training recall.

Last edited by PaddyD; 12-09-2011 at 01:14 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

I was going to suggest clear finger nail polish, but....

Ok, if the dog is running away, instead of chasing the dog, turn in the opposite direction and run, make noise too. Look like an idiot. Most dogs will turn and chase you and usually you can catch them when they do.

Next do whatever it takes to make sure the dog does not get away.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

I didn't see how old the dog was. Do you know any history regarding the dog? When she bolts, is it out of fear? Like does something scare her and she takes off? Is she bolting through the door, over the fence, up through the chimney? How obediant is she when she isn't auditioning for the Fast and the Furious?

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

I am confused, you don't say if she is in a fenced yard or do you just open the door and turn her loose? Off leash while hiking? Why doesn't she have a leash on her when she is not in your home?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

Get the dvd 'Lassie Come' by Patricia McConnell. It's really helpful and towards the end she shows how to teach 'whoa' which is very useful when the dog is running away from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page