Heeling issue - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Heeling issue

Stoli and I have done the obedience training and he knows how to heel that's not the issue. The issue is when we go on our walks lately I notice he is trying to walk ahead of me, he'll sniff the ground which I wasn't Worried about at first as he was walking right by me, bt now he's veering off in different directions again at times trying to run ahead etc. He isn't pulling me altho at times I'll have to tell him to leave it if he finds something that really smells good. I've tried changing directions quickly and getting him to focus which works for a few seconds but then were back to bad heeling again. This dog is not food driven a all as I've tried holding treats at my leg to keep hm in position and that didn't work....any suggestions to get this kid to heel better?? Or do I just let him have a little freedom on our walks as he isn't doing awful but it's not good I would say either lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Do you need a perfect heel or are you just looking for him to walk on a loose leash near your side without pulling?

Whether or not it's okay for him to have a little more freedom on his walks is entirely up to you - you get to set the criteria you want, and to train for that, regardless of what anyone else does.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

What I would really like is for him to stop trying to go in front of me. I don't care so much if he's beside me and isn't in a perfect heel, but when he starts going in Front of me it's annoying and he knows not to do it. all i have to do is get my"boss" voice and he'll move back but then a few feet later is right back in front. Loose leash to my side would be great is what I'm saying lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If you go to this thread, there are some links to prior threads about loose leash walking, with lots of good training tips: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...er-treats.html

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page