I know YOU can help me :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I know YOU can help me :)

I want to give my 6month old working line GSD a "job" so I was wondering if you could help me teach him to put things in a pile like wood, or laundry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Elite Member

When I first got Sib I really wanted her to fetch beer for me...Well that didn't happen but she does fetch the paper for daddy in the am and brings me my pillow every nite when I settle down..The way I taught her to fetch the paper was to continue a inside game we had been playing..I had taken a towel and hid it in parts of the house(originally it had a toy hidden in it so she had to discern toy from towel)--taught her to stay, wait and then go find..For the paper, I took same towel and wrapped it around the paper and threw it out into the drive for her to fetch--which she learned in about 5 minutes ..I know I am no trainer, but this was fun for us and dad really likes her getting the paper for him..Please keep in mind she is a companion dog...My expectations are in relation to that..Blessings to all.
Jan

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I've never taught anything like that, but to me it sounds like the perfect situation for backchaining - teaching the end of the behavior first. So I'd start with teaching her to "take" and "give" things to you, (use whatever commands you want) then I'd work with her by the laundry basket or a garbage can so that when she drops whatever she has, it goes in. Work on that for awhile, marking and rewarding her for dropping something into a variety of different things to generalize the behavior, and then gradually move further away, starting with just a step or two, so she has to actually go to the basket to drop something in it. You can name the various places to drop stuff so that you can send her from a distance and she'll be able to discriminate between them.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

thanks guys!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

I taught Hondo to put his toys back in the toy basket, by using 'drop it'. It didn't quite work the way I wanted it to though, he would put a toy back in the basket, but he'd pull another one out. Good example of 'self rewarding'.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

hhahahahaha that's cute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page