Time To Start Teaching Being Home Alone - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Time To Start Teaching Being Home Alone

I have never left Viktor home alone in the month and a half since I got him. He has always either been with me or in the day-care kennel at all times post-rescue.

Now that I have a nice comfortable place set up for him in the basement, I plan to starting leaving him there in short doses and see how he does. Put him down there and clear stuff out of the car. Then let him out. Then try going to the store and come back. Gradually increasing the time.

It is difficult going absolutely EVERYWHERE with a dog attached to your hip.

I welcome suggestions.

*Greg Knight*
Viktor: 5 year old (DOB: 8/31/2008) GSD rescued 10/15/2011
Everyday, we get closer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I have his crate set up under the steps and the rest of the basement is basically free of anything he can destroy. Also, I am going to put a loveseat under that window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	13145  

*Greg Knight*
Everyday, we get closer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Banned

i would use the gradual method also. i would
put him in his space while i was home also. can
you make a space for him where's there's nothing
but walls (no washer, dryer, heater, wires,
pipes, etc)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

DoggieDad: I don't think I could completely block off the washer/dryer/furnace area, but I can try to make sure it is a bit more secure.

Thanks for the input.

*Greg Knight*
Everyday, we get closer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SamanthaBrynn
If I put a blanket over Callie's crate, she would destroy it to threads...but IDK if yours is a shredder.

Samantha

Callie (GSD) Born May 24, 2011

Casper (Mix) 7 years
My goal is to someday be the person my dogs think I am.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 AM

I have an escape artist! She does great when I am home and is out constantly, but when I leave, she has to go to her Kong kennel. I want her to be out all of the time, and use the kennel more for a bed like she does now. She got out twice before I started zip tying all the joints of the kennel, and putting carabiners on the slide locks(houdini dog!!!) and destroyed everything within reach, but when I sleep, or am upstairs, she does nothing, chews on nothing, no accidents. So, as long as Im home, she does nothing. I'm in the same boat. Any advice to get her to not be so destructive when I'm gone?

Trinity Lane

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."
-Ike
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Crowned Member

If you don't spend any significant time in the basement, it's going to make this tougher because he's going to feel isolated and alone, not even around your things and not in a place people usually are or in a place the two of you have been together. It just means it will be tougher, so I feel his gradual introduction should start with you hanging out in the basement while he's in his crate before you do your short dose separations.

| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

That is a good comment Suka...

We have only been in this house since Saturday, so neither of us has "hung out" much in the basement. We do go down there every evening and play ball. There is enough room to toss the ball around a good bit. The agility tunnel gets dilivered Wendsday and I am going to make a tire-swing this weekend. So, we will be spending more time down there as the "play-room" comes together.

*Greg Knight*
Everyday, we get closer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Just wanted to throw out a quick update on this issue:

He has been doing really well. Leaving him home alone more. He has not been destructive, but does get into things. I have found my hairbrush here... a kitchen spoon there... more a matter of me "kid-proofing". When something is missing, he gets the blame, at least until I find it, then sometimes it's my fault... LOL!!!

*Greg Knight*
Everyday, we get closer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page