German Shepherds Forum banner

When to walk on a Leash???

872 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  KZoppa 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just adopted a 10 week GSD Puppy a week ago and I'm already in love. I am so amazed of how intelligent he is. I have already trained him to sit, lay down, and he has not had a accident in the house for the past two days. I have always owned dogs (though small breeds) and it's been a long time since I've owned a puppy. Being a first time owner of a GSD I want to make sure he is well rounded, trained and social before he is to big for me to manage.

That being said, I do have a couple of questions...When should I start training him to walk on a leash and what is the best way to do it? What is the best way to teach him his name and how to come when called? And are they any other commands I should teach him now?

Thanks in advance,

Imani

#2 ·
You can start teaching him to walk on a leash now. I brought my girl home at 12 weeks and started right away. If you're able, i would suggest getting into a good puppy obedience class. There are a few videos you can watch online that would be beneficial for you.

tab289 - YouTube

The above link should take you to a good obedience trainer who also has a GSD. His videos are informative and helpful.

#5 ·
no problem. check around the puppy section. You'll learn a ton here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.