How to Train the drop it command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Tuc

How to Train the drop it command

How can i teach my pup to drop things without having to take them from her. When she gets a hold of 1 of her toys it can be hard to get it off her, I sometime need to pull it from her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Crowned Member

The way I have taught drop-it in the past has been in little steps.

The thing I start with is the "out game". This is played either with two of the same toy or two toys of the same value and I'm basically teaching my dog that the word "out" means to let go of the toy and also that letting go of the toy doesn't mean all the fun is over and we're done playing, but that there'll be a reward for giving me the toy.

I do this by throwing one toy for the dog, then calling the dog back, showing her the second toy I am holding, and grabbing the first toy that she's got. A lot of the time, I've found this to be enough for the dog to let go of the first toy once I've reached for it because her attention is already on the second toy. In some cases, I would rotate the toy forward in her mouth (this works well with a tug) just to get her to let it go while keeping her attention focused on the other one. As soon as she'd let go, I would praise her and throw the second toy for her to play with.

As my dog learns that the word "out" means to let go of the toy, I tend to have her come up and immediately release it once I put my hand on it, since she knows I will take that toy and throw the other. That's usually when I start working on "drop it" by putting my hand under the toy, rather than ON the toy, and asking her to "out". If she lets go and it drops into my hand, I praise and reward with the second toy. From there, I would then go to asking her to just drop it without my hand being there, and once she did, reward her with the other toy.

Repeat as necessary, then phase out the second toy and play with just one.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

I taught it by holding a treat to her nose and saying "out." She spits it out. Then fade the treat.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:35 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyK9 View Post

The thing I start with is the "out game". This is played either with two of the same toy or two toys of the same value and I'm basically teaching my dog that the word "out" means to let go of the toy and also that letting go of the toy doesn't mean all the fun is over and we're done playing, but that there'll be a reward for giving me the toy.

I do this by throwing one toy for the dog, then calling the dog back, showing her the second toy I am holding, and grabbing the first toy that she's got. A lot of the time, I've found this to be enough for the dog to let go of the first toy once I've reached for it because her attention is already on the second toy. In some cases, I would rotate the toy forward in her mouth (this works well with a tug) just to get her to let it go while keeping her attention focused on the other one. As soon as she'd let go, I would praise her and throw the second toy for her to play with.

As my dog learns that the word "out" means to let go of the toy, I tend to have her come up and immediately release it once I put my hand on it, since she knows I will take that toy and throw the other. That's usually when I start working on "drop it" by putting my hand under the toy, rather than ON the toy, and asking her to "out". If she lets go and it drops into my hand, I praise and reward with the second toy. From there, I would then go to asking her to just drop it without my hand being there, and once she did, reward her with the other toy.

Yup pretty much the way I do it.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:00 PM
RMF

Deezul responded better to 'let go' than 'drop it', so we stayed with that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyK9 View Post

Heard good things about this method. Many people I know have done it with great results so to the OP, please consider this method.

With that said, I taught it differently and I think this is another known method. It might be a bit more difficult to do on the handler's part but it really gets the point across. I would engage in a tug game with the puppy. So we tug tug tug moving the tug around and then I'd lock the tug up (placing my hands on my hips to help lock up the tug) and then wait... Eventually the pup will get frustrated and let go. As soon as he does - immediately move the tug around and re-engage in tug play. Eventually you want to get to a point where the dog outs as soon as you "lock up" and then you can attach a command to it (out). The dog will soon learn that outing doesn't mean the fun is over but rather that the faster he outs the faster we'll get to play again
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
With that said, I taught it differently and I think this is another known method. It might be a bit more difficult to do on the handler's part but it really gets the point across. I would engage in a tug game with the puppy. So we tug tug tug moving the tug around and then I'd lock the tug up (placing my hands on my hips to help lock up the tug) and then wait... Eventually the pup will get frustrated and let go. As soon as he does - immediately move the tug around and re-engage in tug play. Eventually you want to get to a point where the dog outs as soon as you "lock up" and then you can attach a command to it (out). The dog will soon learn that outing doesn't mean the fun is over but rather that the faster he outs the faster we'll get to play again
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say THANK YOU! The other methods on these threads and other threads didn't work for my pup, but this one worked within one play session. I'm SO stoked. I've been trying to teach drop since the first day I got him and was sick of prying open his jaws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page