Jumping..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Smile Jumping.....

Can anyone suggest how I can get my GSD to stop jumping up on people, the table and other things....I have tried and tried telling her no and down but it just isn't working.... any suggestions Please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

I tired treats....she get too excited that she ignores them....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestion.... I tried this and it doesn't work with her....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

How does it not work? Most dogs can be lured this way. Do you use a clicker?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Yes....and treat she just gets really excited that she pays no attention...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Crowned Member

I just talked about this in another thread, actually.

What I have (always) done to teach a dog not to jump has been to IGNORE them. Basically, if the dog starts to jump, I will cross my arms and turn my back to the dog, looking anywhere but at the dog. If the dog keeps jumping, I will step one step away, or keep turning away, looking everywhere but the dog.

Happy, excited dogs jump because they're happy and excited and because it gets them attention. You might think you are correcting the dog by shoving her away or yelling NO or telling her things to do, but you ARE reinforcing the behavior by giving her attention and making her even more excited with the shoving and the yelling.

When you ignore them in return for the attention-seeking jumping, they will figure out before long that jumping = no attention but offering a good behavior, such as sitting or standing with all four paws on the ground = attention. But you have to really reinforce both by being consistent with turning away and ignoring when she jumps and praising and rewarding when she has calmed down.

Also, another thing I recommend is coming up with one consistent word that you'll use to keep her off the table, furniture, counter, etc. I've found that lots of people use DOWN for many different things - getting off the table, getting off the couch, not jumping on people, and laying down. You need to use one command for one thing, not different things if that's what you're currently doing. If your word for the dog to lay down is "down", then your word to tell her to stay off things needs to be something different, like "off".

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Master Member

Rio was a jumper too. Its very annoying isn't it? We used the ignore method for us, turning our backs and folding our arms. That stopped the mauling but it took a while. We then arranged for visitors to come over when we had her on a prong and dragging a leash. It was just a case of stepping on the leash and saying "Off" so she couldn't get her feet off the ground. Asking for a sit and praising when she complied. If your dog is going wild when visitors come over keep them next to you with everyone chatting like they aren't there and when he gets bored and calms down you can let him say hello gently.
Every time your dog is allowed jump it is reinforcing the behaviour so get on top of it now. Explain to your guests that you are training and they need to ignore the dog until you say so.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Work your dog to tire her out before a training session if she's that excitable.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Another thought regarding dogs jumping on people as they come in the door ... what I've done and what I've taught to some of the people I worked with where it was a problem, was to teach the dog a "place" command.

I use "place" (or, in my house, "pillow") to send the dog to a specific area - a small rug or dog bed and have them down/stay or sit/stay there. It's basically a boundary stay - stay on this item until released.

I've found that working on the place command consistently really helps place a dog in an appropriate position (sitting on a rug, nicely) when people come in the door or even to keep the dog from jumping into guests' laps when seated in the living room.

The way I've usually taught this is to simply walk the dog back to the rug and tell them "place" every time they leave it, and then praise / reward lavishly when they were being polite and sat on the rug/pillow. Repeat as necessary.

I worked on this with Ralphie the Wonderdog (most difficult dog I've trained with yet) and it took about two hours of us taking him and placing him back onto the mat before he figured it out, but he's now welcome loose in the house when guests are over, which was the goal. So now he gets to enjoy guests' company without annoying them.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page