Teaching GSD at 11 month - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Teaching GSD at 11 month

3 days ago, I adopted an 11th month GSD from a local shelter. Coco is a really thin GSD at 11th month, I thought she was kept in a concentration camp. On the way back to my home, she shoke uncontrollably while being in the car (She probably had never been in a car yet.)

She is absolutely wonderful with people, but when she got to our home, she went crazy with our neighbors' dogs, left, right and back. She barked and was so aggressive that she almost leaped over the 6 feet tall fence.

Since day 1, I have been giving undivided attention, and corrected her (with serious tone) if she bark at other dogs or leaping at my family members. It maybe worked for the first few times. But after a while, she threw tantrums and started mouthing people. Worst of all, after coming back from Church, she has been chewing furniture and stuff causing havoc in my house, from garage to bedrooms, nothing is spared. Worst of all, the amount of hair she shed was ghastly (handful of hair when you pat her), it is all over the place. (Probably because of malnutrition). My family blamed me for what happened.

What can I do to become the "pack" leader for my dog? And how can I establish an effective way to catch her focus while other dogs are around? How should I train her at her age (11-month)? The pressure from my family is getting on my nerves (I was forced to put her beds, and toys in the garage, and she has to sleep in the garage >.<) How can I help her so I won't have to quarantine her?

Your prompt response will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 PM

crate should be your best friend !!! 11 month dog never trained is same as 2 month dog imo !! start all over!! dont let the dog alone witout being in a crate ! unless u need an excuse to change all your fourniture for new one ... than , try to give treats if Coco do something u like ... be firm for thing u disslike ... good luck , that dog will need time . lot of time
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

GizmoGSD is right, you need to do what the rest of us do.

Crate train. Zero damage to your house. 100% control of the dog. Isolating her in the garage is helping with the damage but there is no TEACHING going on. She has to be with you for that. Baby gates and closed doors to keep her in the room with you when you are home. Crate at night and when no one is home. Keep her in the house so she can watch/listen/learn and be part of the family.

Plus find a way to really really exercise this dog. At 11 months my dogs can run miles for hours. So to get the edge off with exercise makes a much better behaved dog.

Brush/comb her every day OUTSIDE for awhile. Nutrition may be part of the issue but both my dogs also blow their coat this time of year. Bath also helps if she'll allow that.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page