walk calmly past the cat vs. dart towards it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
susnrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 25
walk calmly past the cat vs. dart towards it?

I have a 2 year old female GSD. As a pup she played with cats and loved them! We found out that our sons are highly allergic to cats so we had to re home one of them and the other is happy as an outdoor cat.

When I take Sadie out for her walk or to go potty many times the cat is somewhere near the house. I can only get the dog so close to the cat before she'll attempt to pull towards the cat. I only weigh about 30 pounds more than Sadie and am having a very very difficult time with this. When she tries to bolt towards the cat I do my very best to "make like a tree" and not let her pull, but honestly she's so strong that sometimes she pulls me several steps before I regain control. Sometimes we'll be walking along wonderfully and then the cat will dash in front of us.

What can I do to teach the dog that this behavior is unacceptable? Sadie does best with positive reinforcement type training so I'd like to stick to some sort of positive way to handle this.

She will also pull on the leash like this if other people walk by too closely, people walk past walking their dog or if I try to take her into the vet clinic or the pet store. Please help!!!

We are starting group training on Monday with a local trainer, but I'm looking for some suggestions on things I can start working on now!

Thank you,

Susan

Sadie 2 year old GSD
susnrob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Knighted Member
 
Germanshepherdlova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,071
What type of collar are you using? My GSD literally dragged me down an entire block once, and I had to grab onto a tree to stop being dragged when I was training him to walk on a leash, and he was less than a year old when that happened. It was over a cat that he saw outside. After that I bought a prong collar and it did wonders. I have never been dragged like that again. Of course he is now great on the leash.

*US Army Mom*


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Germanshepherdlova is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
susnrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
What type of collar are you using? My GSD literally dragged me down an entire block once, and I had to grab onto a tree to stop being dragged when I was training him to walk on a leash, and he was less than a year old when that happened. It was over a cat that he saw outside. After that I bought a prong collar and it did wonders. I have never been dragged like that again. Of course he is now great on the leash.
I consider myself lucky that I haven't been pulled to the ground yet. So, your boy okay around cats now?

Sadie is currently on a martingale collar. We've used a halti in the past, but honestly I just don't like the halti. I feel like it's just a band-aid instead of a solution to the problem. I was at my local natural pet store today and the lady there mentioned a prong collar. I wouldn't mind trying one to see if that would be enough to stop her in her tracks.

Sadie 2 year old GSD
susnrob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Knighted Member
 
Germanshepherdlova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by susnrob View Post
I consider myself lucky that I haven't been pulled to the ground yet. So, your boy okay around cats now?

Sadie is currently on a martingale collar. We've used a halti in the past, but honestly I just don't like the halti. I feel like it's just a band-aid instead of a solution to the problem. I was at my local natural pet store today and the lady there mentioned a prong collar. I wouldn't mind trying one to see if that would be enough to stop her in her tracks.
He doesn't like loose cats but he doesn't try to chase them anymore. A sharp no! from me in addition to the prong collar seems to do the trick. Now I walk my 115 lb GSD and my 75 lb lab by myself. Both have prongs on, and no more dragging me after cats and squirrels. GSD will try to go after cars sometimes though-prong and all. I have been working with him on this though, and he is doing it less frequently now.

*US Army Mom*


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Germanshepherdlova is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
susnrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
He doesn't like loose cats but he doesn't try to chase them anymore. A sharp no! from me in addition to the prong collar seems to do the trick. Now I walk my 115 lb GSD and my 75 lb lab by myself. Both have prongs on, and no more dragging me after cats and squirrels. GSD will try to go after cars sometimes though-prong and all. I have been working with him on this though, and he is doing it less frequently now.
Wow, that's a lot of dog to walk on your own. The prong collar must help a lot then! Is there a brand of prong collar that is best or a brand to avoid? I feel like I've spent a lot of money on different types of collars so I don't want to buy something that is not a quality prong collar.

Sadie 2 year old GSD
susnrob is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Knighted Member
 
Germanshepherdlova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by susnrob View Post
Wow, that's a lot of dog to walk on your own. The prong collar must help a lot then! Is there a brand of prong collar that is best or a brand to avoid? I feel like I've spent a lot of money on different types of collars so I don't want to buy something that is not a quality prong collar.
I don't remember the brand name, but I got mine at Pet Supplies Plus. I pick the biggest one they have there because of my GSD's size, you can always remove links if it's too big. I get the heavy duty one, and make sure it is the one with the quick release-it is so much easier to put on and take off the dog. It cost $50 plus tax, but is well worth the money.

*US Army Mom*


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Germanshepherdlova is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
susnrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
I don't remember the brand name, but I got mine at Pet Supplies Plus. I pick the biggest one they have there because of my GSD's size, you can always remove links if it's too big. I get the heavy duty one, and make sure it is the one with the quick release-it is so much easier to put on and take off the dog. It cost $50 plus tax, but is well worth the money.
Thanks! I'll look next time I am there.

Sadie 2 year old GSD
susnrob is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Knighted Member
 
Germanshepherdlova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,071
ok, but make sure that you learn how to properly use the prong before you buy it.Name:  smiley-signs003.gif
Views: 498
Size:  921 Bytes
If you have a trainer make sure to ask him about how to properly use a prong collar. Here is a link for you that will give you some basic information.http://www.fsas.ca/DogInfo/Training/...Collar_Use.htm

*US Army Mom*


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Germanshepherdlova; 10-13-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Germanshepherdlova is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
susnrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
ok, but make sure that you learn how to properly use the prong before you buy it.Attachment 12064
Hopefully our new trainer will be okay with this and help me learn to use it! I have no idea if a positive reinforcement trainer will be okay with a prong collar or be totally against it.

Thanks for the link!

Sadie 2 year old GSD

Last edited by susnrob; 10-13-2011 at 11:29 PM.
susnrob is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
WendyDsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 212
My 6 YO former foster GSD Trigger has no manners (I blame his overindulgent Dad), so when he stays with me for babysitting - all walks have a prong collar. You can use it gently - and it mimics what mom would do to correct a difficult pup.

My trainer (for my Kayla) suggested I use it to stop Trigger from trying to run in fear response to things and to not pull when he saw other dogs. He is 105 and solid muscle - I needed every advantage.

It isn't really negative. A gentle leader was great for my Kayla until we trained together - Trigger was pathetic in a gentle leader, Halti, or choker - he whines and acts like he is dying. No problems with the prong collar, I did go to a weekend training session to learn how to use it correctly.

Rita
Wendy Darling (GSD)
Gidget (Min Pin)
Bailey (Choco Lab)
Chachi, Bonnie, Rico, Jelly Bean and Hank (Da Birds)
*************************************
Kayla Marie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WendyDsMom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome