Woolf is at the Vet's .. again. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Question Woolf is at the Vet's .. again.

Woolf has decided once again he wants to supplement his food with more natural things to eat..... like rock, acorns, hickory nut, sticks. He may think he needs more of the minerals and fiber.

Other then removing all the trees and asphalting the backyard, is there any way to train him NOT to eat these things? The vet is encouraging me to use a basket muzzle while he is out since this seems to be a habit for him now.

I am considering it as a temporary measure (hopefully) until I can find a way to redirect this. He does know the commands drop it and leave it and that works when I am there, but the times I am not is what training is needed for.

Any tips, methods or just what you have done with this before?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

How old is Woolf? My Wolfie did this when he was a baby but outgrew it sometime before he was a year old. I never let him outside alone for long when he was young, and always made sure to check his area for anything he might eat before I left him there. Does Woolf have a certain area or does he have the whole yard? Maybe make an area just for him and keep it clear until he grow out of it.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Woolf is 13 months old. I'm out there several times a day picking up, especially this time of year with the nuts falling. I can have the yard rock free, then they seem to grow again. DH laughs at me because I'll go around with a small shovel digging rocks lol.

I'd love to able to have an area in the yard cleared for him, but the nature of the yard and trees there isn't an area that we wouldn't run into the same problem.

He isn't left outside by himself all day, just short periods out there with our lab for play time. If I have to change that, I will and hope he does grow out of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM

I'm not sure how you could train him to stop eating inedibles but it might not be a bad idea to invest in some pet insurance :/ We were thinking of getting some for our 6 month old GSD since we know nothing about her background for her hips, and for my mom's 12 month old sheltie who eats ANYTHING he can get his mouth on. Yesterday he stole an apple from the fruit bowl, peacock feathers, a box of organic chicken stock and ate some tree branches to add some fiber in there. We try not to let him out unsupervised (clearly unsuccessful yesterday - needless to say I was at work while the family had him out) and are trying to teach him "drop it". My mom uses a spray bottle to try and teach him not to bark and has recently started using it as a threat when he picks up something he shouldn't. I don't know if it's working since I don't do his training but it's an idea :/

Pippin, Shetland Sheepdog (1997 - 2011) - RIP sweet boy
Haji Baba, Tabby Cat (1996 - 2012) - RIP my heart
Button, Black Long Coat Cat (~June 5th, 2006)
Milou Van Der Maas, Long Coat GSD (March 23, 2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraja87 View Post
I'm not sure how you could train him to stop eating inedibles but it might not be a bad idea to invest in some pet insurance :/ We were thinking of getting some for our 6 month old GSD since we know nothing about her background for her hips, and for my mom's 12 month old sheltie who eats ANYTHING he can get his mouth on. Yesterday he stole an apple from the fruit bowl, peacock feathers, a box of organic chicken stock and ate some tree branches to add some fiber in there. We try not to let him out unsupervised (clearly unsuccessful yesterday - needless to say I was at work while the family had him out) and are trying to teach him "drop it". My mom uses a spray bottle to try and teach him not to bark and has recently started using it as a threat when he picks up something he shouldn't. I don't know if it's working since I don't do his training but it's an idea :/
Just keep in mind - most pet health care plans don't cover Hip Dysplasia. So make sure you read all of the fine print on the policies you are looking at before you buy.

-Jessica

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

I had the same problem with my dog when she was younger. It took a lot of "Leave Its" and "No" for her to understand that she shouldn't eat the rocks, branches, etc out in the yard. I also gave her a big mesquite tree branch and let her chew to her hearts content...that lasted maybe 10 minutes. LOL I always keep a tree limb out there so she can chew on it if she wants...but for the most part...she leaves everything alone now including the tree limb that is out there.

With my dog...it seemed that if I took everything away from her and kept telling her leave it or no...then she wanted it more. Now she couldn't care less about eating bad things.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM

@jprice103 We were looking specifically at Trupanion since they have an option to cover hip dysplasia if you register before the dog is a year old. The one we were looking at originally, VPI, looked like they wouldn't cover enough of it ($250?) to make it worth it.

Pippin, Shetland Sheepdog (1997 - 2011) - RIP sweet boy
Haji Baba, Tabby Cat (1996 - 2012) - RIP my heart
Button, Black Long Coat Cat (~June 5th, 2006)
Milou Van Der Maas, Long Coat GSD (March 23, 2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page