A question for my friend - jumping up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question A question for my friend - jumping up

I have a friend (Nicole) who is pregnant (I think she's three or four months along). She likes to go to her neighbor's house every day and let his lab (Sammy) out while he (Dave) is at work, and take him for a walk or run. Sammy is a bit of a wild child, and a big time jumper. Nicole has tried to talk to Dave about ways to help with this, especially when guests come over since Nicole's daughter has gotten jumped on and knocked down and is now terrified of this dog. This was her most recent message to me, and I thought I'd ask you guys for tips.

He already wears a prong collar. He is ok when I am walking him. He doesn't pull. It's basically any other time. He jumps up on me and he is huge and it hurts. Also I can't just let him go in the house he will climb all over me. he tries to bite my arms hands feet like he thinks they are a play toy. When I am dog sitting I have to keep him on the leash even in the house because I don't have any control over him and its the only way I can protect myself. It is really unenjoyable. Ugh! I feel bad for him when Dave goes away because he is crated. He would be so much better off at doggie day care. Dave doesn't listen to me though.

Any suggestions on how my friend can deal with this dog that isn't hers in the first place?

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:44 PM

I will tell you that it will be tough to break him of it if the owner isn't on board with training every day.

Raven jumps on everyone but me (ok, she gives me one little jump when I get home but that's nothing compared to the mauling other people get). I had a roommate when she was a pup who didn't listen to me regarding training and what I got was a dog who thinks it's ok to jump on everyone but me. We also don't have people come over enough that I've been able to stop it.

Wish I had better advice.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Master Member

She will probably need to limit her visits and exposures to that wild child puppy if she does not want to get pawed and knocked down while pregnant.

I got jumped on 3x yesterday by others dogs while at the dog park, it does hurt. I usually turn my back and cross my arms and say uh uh, but that doesn't always stop dogs from jumping. I tend to get all the dogs running up to me because I am short. I notice they don't go up to other folks who are taller.

Anyone else notice this with dogs?

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix

Last edited by Stella's Mom; 09-30-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Master Member

she MIGHT be able to get him to stop even if the owner does not- IF she can get the dog to recognize her as a leader. I would recommend she do basic obedience with him. Sit, Down, etc.

I had a friends dog that constantly jumped on me, I finally asked my friend if she minded if I tried something- she allowed me to- I got his leash and made him sit/down etc and made him listen he was not allowed to ignore me- if he wouldn't sit, I gently made him sit, same with down. I also left the leash on him and when he got close to me I would step on the leash- if he went to jump he usually got stopped because I was stepping on the leash- also the crossing the arms and a stern NO- "sit" helped when i didn't have time to step on the leash. I refused to acknowlege the dog until he sat in front of me. It took a couple of times but eventually the dog no longer jumped on me but would jump on everyone else.

This may or may not work for her, I am sure some professionals will also comment- Good Luck to your friend!

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks guys. I don't know how much she can hope to accomplish without the owner also trying. I think she has tried to get him to not jump on her, but I'm not sure what methods she has used besides turning her back on him. She says he just jumps on her back then. From what I understand, she has trouble even getting in the house because he is so excited to see her.

Leah
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Does he know commands? The best thing to do would be to get him to replace the behavior with something else (like sit). Raven runs and gets me a toy. If she had a lot of time, she could refuse to come in the house until he has settled down and sat.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's a good question Jamie. I will ask her. I did tell her that if she could get Dave to put Sammy on leash when she came over, to keep him from jumping, then she could ignore him until he sat, then give attention/treats/praise. It sounds like he's just young and excitable and probably not getting enough exercise. But I told her this a couple months ago and I guess Dave did it a few times and then gave up. He doesn't seem like he cares if his dog is a jumper, which is fine as long as you don't have guests over!

The hard part is that Dave is Nicole's best friend, so it's not like she can just stop coming over for the rest of her pregnancy. I hate to suggest an e-collar, but do you think that would be the quickest method to extinguish the jumping behavior? I'm not sure I would feel right about advising it especially since Dave doesn't seem like someone who would make the effort to learn how to use it properly.

Leah
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

I taught my last dog to not jump by encouraging her to jump and giving her the knee timed precisely before she made contact. I made it a game and pretty soon she didn't like that game any more. NO, she was not harmed. Every once in a while I would pat my chest and say "Come on", she wasn't interested.
Current dog knows how to take NO or STAY.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

When I was 16yr. old we lived in Alaska and our neighbor had a huge Chocolate Lab.
The neighbor saw how well behaved my Springer was (had her since I was 13) and asked me to train his dog.
Well his dog was around 100lb. and pure puppy. Eek.
He'd jump up and maul people. Not knowing any different way to work on it, I stood on his leash when he was sitting down. It's a bit tough but I did it, and as soon as he relaxed and quit trying to jump up I would praise/pet, etc.
I did this daily for a few weeks and he soon learned that he did indeed get attention when he sat nicely and didn't jump!
That dog was a monster though. Huge puppy. One day when I had him and was running him (had to get him to burn off energy before even starting to work w/him) he jumped up a log behind me and actually bit the back of my neck/head!! He was just playing but wow, I got myself out of his way real quick!

Your friend could run him real hard first and then try the leash thing, if she thinks she can without getting knocked over! Oh, and I used a flat collar for that particular training method.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
I taught my last dog to not jump by encouraging her to jump and giving her the knee timed precisely before she made contact. I made it a game and pretty soon she didn't like that game any more. NO, she was not harmed. Every once in a while I would pat my chest and say "Come on", she wasn't interested.
Current dog knows how to take NO or STAY.
Agreed. A well placed knee can make an awesome difference. Doesn't take long to get that message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page