What are the commonly used command words? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

What are the commonly used command words?

What do you recommend teaching beyond sit, stay, down, heel, come? And what specific commands do you use?

I've seen "heel" used to have the dog assume a position to your left, but also used to "initiate" the walk starting off of your left foot. Which is it--position cue or start walking cue?

I have used "leave it" both for ignoring dogs and squirrels, and also for leaving shoes, treats, balls etc. I think I am confusing her, since the actions expected of her are different. Should I use "drop" for dropping balls, shoes, etc.?

Several of you have commented about a super, emergency recall, and a drop-dead stay,one that you save for important things like traffic. What commands? How do you teach these "absolute" commands differently from regular come and stay?

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

Off and Leave It!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry I didn't finish reading your post. I use "Leave it!" for anything I want the dog to leave alone. They understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
I've seen "heel" used to have the dog assume a position to your left, but also used to "initiate" the walk starting off of your left foot. Which is it--position cue or start walking cue?
Yes. Heel is a position at your left side, regardless of whether you're standing still or walking - the dog is to be at your side either way.

Quote:
I have used "leave it" both for ignoring dogs and squirrels, and also for leaving shoes, treats, balls etc. I think I am confusing her, since the actions expected of her are different. Should I use "drop" for dropping balls, shoes, etc.
I use "leave it" for when the dog doesn't already have something. When the dog DOES already have something I use "give", and THEN "leave it" to mean don't grab it again.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

I live out in the country and have other animals who are a part of our family. I use different commands for my dog that have different meaning to my dog.

Example:

"I can't see you!" This is said in a playful voice. This means my dog needs to come back to where I can keep an eye on him. Say, I'm out in the barn and he is wandering around behind the barn. When I say "I can't see you!" he'll come wandering at a slower pace back to where he can see me. "I can't see you" is used a dozen times a day. "I can't see you" is rarely rewarded.

"Here" This is said in a normal voice. This means he has wandered too far off. Say, I'm out in the pasture and he is running around a head of me. If he has what I deem as too much distance (to safely control him) between us I'll hollar out "Here". That means he is to change direction now and close the distance. He is to come back towards me. This is to be done now, and not when he decides to. "Here" is used maybe once or twice a day. "Here" is rewarded with a vocal "that's a good boy".

"Come" This is said in an alert voice. There is no grey area in "Come". When I say this he is to stop what he is doing and come directly to me. As he nears I'll point either to my side or infront of me and sit. There is no problem solving left up to him when I say "Come!". "Come" is practiced, but not over used. "Come" is used perhaps once or twice a week just to make sure he is sharp on it. "Come" is always rewarded with a big party and dance. "Come" also gets a treat most of the time.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Master Member

We had a lab whose emergency recall command was, "Do You Want To Eat?"
You have to know your dog
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I live out in the country and have other animals who are a part of our family. I use different commands for my dog that have different meaning to my dog.

Example:

"Here" This is said in a normal voice. This means he has wandered too far off. Say, I'm out in the pasture and he is running around a head of me. If he has what I deem as too much distance (to safely control him) between us I'll hollar out "Here". That means he is to change direction now and close the distance. He is to come back towards me. This is to be done now, and not when he decides to. "Here" is used maybe once or twice a day. "Here" is rewarded with a vocal "that's a good boy".

"Come" This is said in an alert voice. There is no grey area in "Come". When I say this he is to stop what he is doing and come directly to me. As he nears I'll point either to my side or infront of me and sit. There is no problem solving left up to him when I say "Come!". "Come" is practiced, but not over used. "Come" is used perhaps once or twice a week just to make sure he is sharp on it. "Come" is always rewarded with a big party and dance. "Come" also gets a treat most of the time.

These two commands are the MOST important! This is taught in my obed. training exactly as stated above.

Jo
Kitty 10/1990-10/23/08 kitty rip
Koda 1/20/00-10/03/09 gsd rip.
Kassie 6/1/08 kitty
Zorro VomTraumhof-1/3/11-gsd,Ob101,CGC,RN,RA
Ryker 2/20/10-gsd "Poseidon VomTraumhof"
VP5 3-6 mo. confm.VP1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-9 mo.confrm.
AKC S.T.A.R pup,Obed.101, CGC.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post

Example:

"I can't see you!" This is said in a playful voice. This means my dog needs to come back to where I can keep an eye on him. Say, I'm out in the barn and he is wandering around behind the barn. When I say "I can't see you!" he'll come wandering at a slower pace back to where he can see me. "I can't see you" is used a dozen times a day. "I can't see you" is rarely rewarded.

I had to learn those same commands before the wife would marry me. Took me forever to get that last one down.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
Carlotta O'Neill
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Master Member

When I want Elly May to bark or get her worked up I say...where's / get the bad man !

Whoever said you can't buy love musta never owned a dog !
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
I had to learn those same commands before the wife would marry me. Took me forever to get that last one down.
See, if she used a long line with a prong and an e-collar, you'd have had it down in one day...maybe two.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page