Possessive over ball/frisbee and won't let go - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Possessive over ball/frisbee and won't let go

One of my dogs will drop anything, immediately upon command. However, my other dog will let go of some things when told but if I am playing ball with him, or frisbee, when he brings it back to me I have to tell him over and over to release it. Many times I cut our playtime short because he doesn't want to let go and it is difficult to continue playing with him when it is almost a battle to get him to release it so that I can toss it again. How can I get him to let go of an item that he is possessive of?

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Elite Member

One way is to use 2 of the same items, one is in dogs mouth the other is in your hand. Some side to side movement from your hand will get dog's focus on the "alive" object, dog will drop "dead" object from mouth, you throw the alive object and as dog is chasing, you pick up the dead object and repeat.

Somewhere along the way add the "out" command at the moment the dog drops the dead object. This is only one way to go, there are many others. You just need to figure out what works best for your dog.

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Brody is a little hesitant to drop the ball because he loves to chew on it. I tried using two balls much like what Packen said and it really worked. I threw the ball and when Brody brought it back to me I showed him the other ball. He immediately sat and dropped the ball he had in his mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
One of my dogs will drop anything, immediately upon command. However, my other dog will let go of some things when told but if I am playing ball with him, or frisbee, when he brings it back to me I have to tell him over and over to release it. Many times I cut our playtime short because he doesn't want to let go and it is difficult to continue playing with him when it is almost a battle to get him to release it so that I can toss it again. How can I get him to let go of an item that he is possessive of?
if you don't let go, play time is over, it took awhile but it worked with Max, when he saw me head for the door then he would drop the frisbee, now he brings it and drops it, also having two method works well also

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken k View Post
if you don't let go, play time is over, it took awhile but it worked with Max, when he saw me head for the door then he would drop the frisbee, now he brings it and drops it, also having two method works well also
Have the same problem with Abby. She is learning to Drop IT and Leave It but it's a slow process. We're getting there .... I am not the most strict disciplinarian.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyp View Post
Brody is a little hesitant to drop the ball because he loves to chew on it. I tried using two balls much like what Packen said and it really worked. I threw the ball and when Brody brought it back to me I showed him the other ball. He immediately sat and dropped the ball he had in his mouth.
I taught our 23 mo old GS with both another ball and/or a treat, in conjunction with a sharp "Out" command. Took a while, and she finally learnt that no "out", no more game. It also worked for the tug.
Richard

No matter how eloquently the dog barks, he cannot tell you that his master is poor, but honest
Bertrand Russell
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I have tried to show him another frisbee or ball while we are playing but he still will not let go of the one in his mouth. Not unless I throw the other one, and then he will run after it with the item still in his mouth and not release it until he is picking the other one up.

I have considered using his shock collar for this, but I have not done so because I don't want to "punish" him while playing, and I haven't used that collar in a long time anyhow.

Maybe I will try a treat and see if that works.

*US Army Mom*

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:39 PM

If the two ball method isn't working I would use a treat like you were saying. I've also done that with Brody and it worked. High value treats. I wouldn't use the shock collar for something like this. To me, the shock collar would be a last resort to a more serious problem.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 06:01 PM

I also would say having ntwo of the item but if your dog still isn't what we found working for us is I would grab the item while stoli had it and say "give" very firmly. Now this took a while as he would try and play tug then but eventually he figured out I wanted the ball and wasn't going too stop until I got it. Now he's a lot better about sharing his toys and keeping the game going
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Masi only gets her frisbee when I engage her,,she's way to destructive when it comes to them, so only gets them under supervision. And this dog is frisbee obsessed, along with tugging/balls, jolly ball.

Anyhow, she learned real fast, you don't drop the frisbee, game is over, I take it and you don't get it back..

In the beginning I did switch it up,,drop that one, you can have this one..

Now I torture her, and sometimes make her stay or down, or whatever, I throw the frisbee, and she has to wait until I release her ...it's torture for her, her whole body is quaking,,but it's a good exercise to teach self control)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page