problem with my puppy's drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

problem with my puppy's drive

Hi everyone, I have a 3 month old puppy and I am trying to get her interested in the ball as a reward. I got her a gapay ball which I attach to a leash and have her chase.

The only problem is that she loves to go after grasshoppers.
While I try to redirect her, She only cares about sniffing at grasshoppers till they jump and then pouncing on them.
I think she might be eating them sometimes too.

I am trying to ignore the grasshopper thing but shes so obsessed with them...maybe I'm just too boring. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

Part of it's the age. At 12 weeks or thereabouts, her attention span is about the same as a goldfish's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

Stop training in an environment with grasshoppers until you develop proper focus...

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

willy thanks for the simple advice, It seems like common sense I guess I just didn't even think of it because I do so much running around I have been doing it in the back yard..but now I will definitely switch things up to get my goldfish to leave all the little insects alone. lol
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Master Member

I completely agree with wildo and emoore but also you are boring in comparison to the grasshoppers. You need to find a toy that is the coolest thing in the world! The ball on a leash isn't cutting it. Move to a less distracting place and be patient because she is young and has the attention span of a goldfish.

Gobles Sonar vom Shipwreck, CGC
Dark Sable 100% DDR German Shepherd (4/1/2010)

Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
Grey/White Siberian Husky (8/29/2005)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

She might just be too young to care about the ball...mine didn't retrieve the ball until he was about 5 months old. He did love it though and would chew on it all day. She might also just not have the ball drive in her, its not really something you can teach. Find something she really really loves and it might distract her from the grasshoppers, but at this point it might just be her young age.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

Don't know if you know who Susan Garrett is (she's a world famous dog trainer and agility star) but I recently subscribed to a year long, online training "thing" with her. One technique that she uses for puppies is to train in her bathroom. It's about the most boring environment she could possibly think of, not to mention it's pretty small so there isn't a lot of "exploration" space. This allows the pup to not be distracted by the environment. As the dog gains focus, confidence, and skill- she will move to more distracting environments. If the dog fails in that environment- it's back to the bathroom.

You're right- seems totally obvious. But I wouldn't have thought of it either unless I had seen her do it...

Glad I could help! I think you will find success with such an environment switch...

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Master Member

I think we expect too much out of our little German Shepherds also. I know I expected mine to do anything I said at 6 months. Reality is a B*** lol

Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

IT may be too that at thate age a softer squishier toy is in order.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Master Member

I agree jocoyn.

Somthing you can fling around that has movement that will invoke her prey drive.

These fleece toys are great

I have one of these and Sonar loves it, it has squeakys in it and I can fling it around and he will chase it.

Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page