Help Teaching my dog to come to me...Again? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Help Teaching my dog to come to me...Again?

He's 6.5 months old today, he used to come every time I called him to come. Now he won't come unless he wants to, he knows what it means, just don't want to do it.

any advice?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Banned

He is at the age where he has discovered that he can decide for himself and isn't all that anxious to please you. You have to take him back to school (obedience class or other) and refresh his interest in recall. It's called the teenage period. I call it the bratty period. Like a teenager he will test test test you in more ways than not coming when called. You will get more and better advice ( I hope ) but this is mostly a phase where you have to increase your patience, perseverance and training time. Just like with teenagers, if you have done everything right they will reward you by being fantastic adults when maturity is reached and they have had the proper training. In the meantime, train and socialize as much as you can.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
He is at the age where he has discovered that he can decide for himself and isn't all that anxious to please you. You have to take him back to school (obedience class or other) and refresh his interest in recall. It's called the teenage period. I call it the bratty period. Like a teenager he will test test test you in more ways than not coming when called. You will get more and better advice ( I hope ) but this is mostly a phase where you have to increase your patience, perseverance and training time. Just like with teenagers, if you have done everything right they will reward you by being fantastic adults when maturity is reached and they have had the proper training. In the meantime, train and socialize as much as you can.
^^^^what he said. I like to call it the butthead period!

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

Get a drag line, 20-30 feet. When he ignores you, just grab the line. Make it so he cannot fail. Have plenty of yummy treats!

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scruffy "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.-Thomas Campbell"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Master Member

Start feeding meals at random times. For successful recalls. If you don't come you don't eat. If you do come, you get a great meal instantly (what a fabulous surprise). He will not starve himself just to spite you, and he will remember why he needs you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Banned

If he is food driven, always have treats to reward him, if he is toy driven have his favorite toy on you and give it to him when he comes to you. I love this period in a puppy's life because many new puppy owners don't think their dog will do this. I see pups all the time coming on command from months 3-6, and then all of the sudden it stops and the owner is amazed at why. Just keep working on it and always have his favorite reward. You will have an amazing dog at the end of it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

Yep, Glock is at this period too. He is 7 1/2 months and in that butthead/bratty/teenage stage.

Megan

Amadeus 1/13/2003-10/20/2010 RIP
Glock 1/25/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page