Getting dominant when showing affection to other dogs in house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Getting dominant when showing affection to other dogs in house

We have had our new rescue, Gunner, in the house for about 2 days. He is 2 yrs old.

I would say integration is going well. He responds to "Leave it" and an "Ehh Ehh Ehh" tone of voice to stop bad behaviours.

We have 5 small pugs. The pugs were brought in as puppies and raised with our last German Shepherd, who was really laid back and easy going.

The new guy, for the most part, is the same way.

Gunner, was abandoned in someone's back yard and withered away to 50 lbs (from 85 or so). So he resource guards food and water, but we really haven't seen too much negative behaviour in this sense. We can train all dogs together and give rewards treats and he doesn't mind.

He, for the most part, is ignoring the pugs. They can lay within feet of each other. He isn't challenging them or trying to dominate them. Neither are they.

The ONE issue we have yet to resolve is when we show affection to one of the pugs. For example, we'll be on the couch or sitting in a chair in the kitchen, and one of the pugs will jump on our laps for affection and some lovin'.

Gunner will come over and stick his head right in your lap and try and "stop" the affection. He wont' growl or show teeth... just gets in their face. They of course, feel threatened and sometimes growl back or get territorial.

At this point, "Leave it" or "Ehh Ehh Ehh" are ineffective. He insists on sticking his head in their face to stop the affection.

It has, a couple of times, resulted in a little tussle which we quickly break up.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

I was thinking to have him on his pinch collar and lead in the house. Have him about 5-10 feet away from my wife, and have her invite a pug up for some affection on her lap.

At the slightest sign of interest in his part, correct him with the collar and get him to focus on ME and not the pug. Reward the correct behaviour. Perhaps a training treat if he ignores and sits or platzes down.

Repeat with me and a pug and my wife on the lead. Try this for a week andsee if we can see a reduction in the negative behaviour.

Any suggestions on my thought above? Other ideas?

Dad to Zeus, Titan, Hera, Apollo, and Luna (the Pugs)
Gunner the GSD (Adopted 08/28/11)

with Euro, Olympia, and Cleo at the Rainbow Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page