Dropping food/items from mouth? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Dropping food/items from mouth?

Gang -

My dog knows the leave it command very well, assuming she hasn't gotten to it yet. Once it's in her mouth, what do you train for her to drop? Would a normal "drop it" command work (like one you might train for her to drop a dumbbell)? She doesn't understand or listen to the leave it once it's in her mouth, and there are times she might pick something off the floor and run away with it.

Today she grabbed an almond off the ground, and while it's probably OK for her, I'd prefer her not to eat nuts...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 PM

Shay learned "Get that out of your mouth" because if it is not dropped immediately, my hand is going in fishing. We live out in the hills and there is everything from acorns to lizards to goat poo to rocks to more rocks to leaves to cats.

Cara -- Central CA
+ Shay -- GSD
+Melody Rose & Cubby Shelties
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

"Out." She knows what it means because if she doesn't spit it, I have my hand all the way in her mouth taking whatever is in there!

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Master Member

I use "out" for that. It can be trained positively by trading the object in the mouth for another tastier object. And in training, you can give the object back, take it away, give it back etc. so they learn that "out" doesn't always mean losing their treat forever.

Proud papa of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
. RIP Dana.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM

I use 'give' if I want my guy to come to me and put it in my hand (or thereabouts - I'm not picky if it's close). I use 'drop' to mean put it on the ground, wherever he's standing.

He also knows that if he doesn't 'give', I go fishing in his mouth - for similar reasons as Cara
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

I use 'leave it!' even if it's already in his mouth. 'Leave it' to my dog means stop what you are doing right now, stop forward motion (moving towards object), stop chewing motion, stop chasing motion, stop gulping motion, stop tugging motion, stop everything. The MOMENT that has happend, he gets rewarded.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page