Non Socalized Dog .. need help PLZ! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Non Socalized Dog .. need help PLZ!

I got makita at 7 months old from a lady who said she was "born this way", what she ment by that was terrified of people. She isn't agressive at all. Just pulls away and hides behind me. She was raised in the country all her brothers and sisters were adopted and for 7 months makita lived tied to a tree with no socilization of people, or other dogs (besides her parents). I just got her about two weeks ago and she has grown attached to me and my boyfriend but i am wondering if its to soon to take her out in the comunity to try to get her used to people, the park, stores and such. Or should i wait a few more weeks? Ive hurd from some people that the longer she stays at home the more nervous she's going to be. She loves going in the car but when i stop and put the leash on to take her out she gets terrified. She also is afraid of men, im thinking she was abused by the husband of the lady i got her from? Not positive. but by the way she acts maybe? Anways... would love any tips, ideas or hep in the situation! THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 PM

can you take on really short walks by your home? add a few feet a day..If she likes going in the car, go somewhere, where it's not real busy, and sit in the car with her, if she's comfortable, take her out of the car, put her back in..

I wouldn't put her in large crowds, busy places just yet,,I'd go slow with her, keep things stress free, calm..

IF she loves the car, I'd take advantage of that big time,,go park in a grocery store parking lot, and sit in the car with her..but I would take her "out" of the car where there's tons of activity just yet..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM

I have to say that 99% of dogs that behave this way have not been abused in any way. It's their genetics. Sure you can "socialize" it away to a degree, but it will always show it self. In the mean time number 1 is to control her environment. You have to be able to see whats coming and deal with it before it freaks her out. At this point it's not important that she becomes best friends with everyone. Before that she should learn that nobody is going to bother her. Keep her engaged with you. If she checks out somthing or someone new it needs to be her idea. Don't force her into anything she is not comfortable with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM

I agree. Start thinking of safe zones with visual. Car in a busy parking lot for example. Then take her out and walk around the car and then back in. Just keep expanding her experiences. Slowly. Don't coddle her fear but don't push too much at once. Give her time to process each level before going expanding.

Lyn -- Mom 2 Shaman von Raesfeld
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Crowned Member

i agree with everyone in doing baby steps with her. set up situations she can handle and slowly add more as she progresses........i do agree that this is mostly a genetic trait, but you can work with it and get her to a more comfortable place.........

i had a friend with a GSD that hid when people came to the house, it was never addressed so it became a learned behavior.......i suggested she put the dog on a leash when people came and keep her at her side, feed her real special treats etc.........thats all it took for this dog changing her behavior when people came, eventually she was able to take food from visitors........this dog was also nervous about going out on walks or leaving the yard............i suggested she take the dog to a safe field let her smell and run and learn to enjoy the world without any distractions just kind of let go of anxiety's...........eventually after alot of outings like that she added more distractions etc, and this dog learned to enjoy walks outside the yard.....sometimes its as simple as that all depending on the dog and the issues.........So, slow exposure without forcing things, careful thought and planning of situations etc.........if the dog shows extreme fear, back up and slowly build again.........there is going to be a little anxiety, but if you can work with the dog and gain her trust to focus on you it will make situations more comfortable for her........

url
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

She's beautiful!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

All of the above. Get her out there but keep expanding her horizons gradually.
Hope she and you have many happy years together.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Master Member

This will take LOTS of exposure, like, you walking her every day. Learn her "personal bubble", ie, how close she must be to a stranger to notice them. When you walk her try to stay just on the edge of that space, not close enough to the person to scare her, but close enough to desensitize her. Keep closing in but SLOWLY.

I have found Home Depot to be a wonderful place for this: (1) it is dog-friendly, (2) it has wide aisles that allow you to skirt people at a distance (unlike Petsmart), (3) full of men (4) lots of long unoccupied aisles for calming walks in-between close people encounters, and (5) ac is on all the time! Bring high value treats and reward every time she walks on the edge of her bubble without flinching. Stop and show her some tool or thing that makes a sound or moves (chains, bin of bolts, hoses, etc.) to distract and interest her. Make it fun!

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

thank you all so much i will try all of these over time and see what seems to help the most
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page