German Shepherds Forum banner

How to teach him to accept kids

699 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  High5 
#1 ·
Tonight I was at the park and some very nice younger kids hung around Lincoln. He barked and let out growls at first, but they ignored him, walk slow around him and half hour later he was letting them pet his chin and rub his bum. Normally I cant stand kids myself but these ones were really respectful and didnt barge up to him like most do. They said they would help me get Lincoln used to other kids as they have friends their age they could get around him.

My question is what method should I use? What I did tonight was have them not look at him and sit down and let him come to them. Slowly but surely he would inch closer and closer. Should I have treats with me? Should I let them play ball with him?

#2 ·
I always go out in public for socializing with a ziplock full of treats. Some I give out, others I hand over to others. Really helps get over a bump for something/someone new.

It he'll play with a toy, that's good too.

GOOD LUCK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.