Sit, Down, Focus...now what? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Sit, Down, Focus...now what?

Trying to see what to transition to . Sarge (puppy) has got sit, down working, not perfect yet and were working on focus. Start working on stay?

Belle, "Texas Southern Belle", Fox Red Lab
2/27/2005 - 2/3/2011

Sargent Rio Cass "Sarge"

5/12/2011 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarag05 View Post
Trying to see what to transition to . Sarge (puppy) has got sit, down working, not perfect yet and were working on focus. Start working on stay?
How about stand? A lot of people miss this command and it comes in handy.

For the sit and down, does the pup stay in place until you release him?
If not you want to work on that. Otherwise you end up having to give two commands in the furture - sit and stay.

Have fun!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
There is the thought process that you shouldn't have to teach 'Stay'. If you ask your pup to sit, it should remain at the sit till you release him.

I did teach stay, but I don't use it anymore. I use 'wait'. Like if I'm at the door and I don't want to be bum rushed out the door - my boy must 'wait' before he goes through the door.

If I tell my boy to sit (or down etc.) he is to remain at that command until I give him another or until I signal him that he is free.

You can also have fun teaching the sit and down using hand signals.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
There is the thought process that you shouldn't have to teach 'Stay'. If you ask your pup to sit, it should remain at the sit till you release him.

I did teach stay, but I don't use it anymore. I use 'wait'. Like if I'm at the door and I don't want to be bum rushed out the door - my boy must 'wait' before he goes through the door.

If I tell my boy to sit (or down etc.) he is to remain at that command until I give him another or until I signal him that he is free.

You can also have fun teaching the sit and down using hand signals.
What the best way to convey to the dog that you want them to "stay"? I guess im saying, the best way to convey to them what we want?

Thanks

Belle, "Texas Southern Belle", Fox Red Lab
2/27/2005 - 2/3/2011

Sargent Rio Cass "Sarge"

5/12/2011 -
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
What the best way to convey to the dog that you want them to "stay"? I guess im saying, the best way to convey to them what we want?

Thanks
There are varied opinions on 'stay'. My trainer uses 'stay'. There are some sports that does not utilize 'stay'. So it's pretty much up to you.

For me - I tell my dog to 'Sit'. If he gets up, I correct him and put him back into the 'Sit'. I tell him "Free Dog!" when I want to release him.

I work with horses, and I'm gearing my dog to be able to come out to the barn with me when I'm working horses (he is 20 months). So I incorporated hand signals with my commands. "Free Dog!" is both hands up, like 'touch down'. I wanted to make sure he isn't confused with anything I might say to the horse. So 'Free Dog' had to be a grand motion.

'Sit' is finger up. 'Down' is finger down. 'Dead Dog' (gotta have a parlor trick or two) is rolling the wrist. "Stand" is flicking the wrist upwards. "Look" is pointing two fingers at my eyes.

Hand signals make it entertaining when you have company. You can incorporate any command within a conversation to the dog and people think that your dog can understand every word you are saying.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM

After I got Axel to sit, and down. I started to do "Touch" and this will come handy for advanced "tricks". I used the back of my one hand, and I held it about 4-6 inches from his nose while he was in a sit. I said "touch" and moved my hand to his nose and just kind of bumped it, and then gave him a treat. I did this 10 or so times, and then I just held my hand there. My guy hesitated, but sure enough he stuck his nose right out and touched my hand, and then I rewarded him. I reinforced this behavior for awhile, and now I move my hand around, and he will do "Touch" no matter where my hand is. "Touch" helped me teach him how to ring bells by the door when he needs to go out to eliminate . My little nephew even gives Fist-Bumps with Axel, but Axel uses his nose. It is adorable.

Axel "Foley" GSD 1/23/11 ~

Dogs can't speak, so they don't understand us. Dogs learn because we allow ourselves to understand them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'd really spend WAY more time on 'engagement' training and work in teeny bits of 'obedience' with any puppy.

Playing with Prey Drive: The Key to Attitude and Enthusiasm in Performance Dogs - The Dog Athlete

Selecting the Best Toys to Motivate and Train Your Performance Dog - The Dog Athlete

Oh, and I'd work on ME learning how to use the clicker!

Here's some great info to start up with:

Clicker Training: Marking Your Dog's Successful Behavior

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 07-08-2011 at 03:16 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Crowned Member

My pup is 12 weeks and all we have been working on is focus/engagement. We will keep it at that for awhile (prolly for a long while... LOL) and I will throw sit, down and maybe stand in there too. I will also do some foundation heel work (muscle memory more than anything) but other than that we ain't doing much other than getting out and about and experiencing EVERYTHING!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:31 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
My pup is 12 weeks and all we have been working on is focus/engagement. We will keep it at that for awhile (prolly for a long while... LOL) and I will throw sit, down and maybe stand in there too. I will also do some foundation heel work (muscle memory more than anything) but other than that we ain't doing much other than getting out and about and experiencing EVERYTHING!
I've found elisabeth_00117's puppy plan is also one that works well for me. I'm also very into the mindset of Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick <-- click that

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page