How do I teach my dog to stop spilling her food bowl? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Master Member

Elly May just started doing this all of the sudden...I wish I knew why.

Whoever said you can't buy love musta never owned a dog !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Sue Smart
Kayleigh takes a mouthful of kibble and eats it away from her bowl.

Sue, Kayleigh and Vixen
Layla RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Candy RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Smart View Post
Kayleigh takes a mouthful of kibble and eats it away from her bowl.
My dog does the same. Since the food is kibble and since she cleans it up, I don't have a problem with the kibble on the floor. Sometimes when she is eating too fast for my liking I will take most of it out of the bowl and spread it on the floor (because I am too lazy to get a cookie sheet).
As for water, she tipped the bowl a few times as a pup but we were there to say NO and that worked.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Tricks i Tried

I love Dogs because They are most loyal animal on the earth but sometimes they behave rude and show there stubbornness, mostly my dogs show there anger on food bowl. when i feed them they will flip food bowl and because of that food is wasted so much and messed around in home. i was searching for solution and i found one. i bought Bamboo silicon bowl from dadogsyard.com/search?q=bowl. my dogs now can't flip that and i got solution.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:00 PM

Zeke did this as a puppy, too. We fed him in his crate so if he tipped the bowl over the food was contained. We took away the water bowl and went with a refilling tower; it was too heavy for him to tip, and now he has both, and alternative where he wants to drink. My friend who is a vet tech suggested finding a heavier water bowl that was tapered so the bottom was wider than the top and that would make it harder to tip. It did and now he's okay, rarely tips his food and hasn't tipped his water in a while. He's 4 1/2 months old now.

What's funny is that he never tipped over his water bowl in the outside area we have for him to play. And that's an old mixing bowl made of lightweight metal that he could easily tip, but somehow, it was more fun for him to tip the water over in the kitchen where I'd rush in and yell at him!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

On the food - why not let her eat off the floor? I've had a dog or two that would bring a mouthful to wherever I was, drop it on the floor and eat. And repeat. Currently, my older dog likes to have an appetizer on the floor ... OK I'm not going to argue on that one.

For the water, try a chum bowl or buddy bowl. One of these is a 3 part stainless, the other is hard plastic. The hard plastic one can be tipped upside down and not spill. It's hard to take apart with arthritic hands 'though. The stainless steel ones didn't work for my current duo but a Neater Feeder did so far as water goes. A slow feeder might also work with your dog's propensity to eat off the floor.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

What is it with all the zombie resurrections of threads lately? This one is from 2011
cvamoca likes this.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
What is it with all the zombie resurrections of threads lately? This one is from 2011

It's new members looking at old threads, and commenting on them.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:07 AM
Crowned Member

And some old members (who? me???) being unobservant enough to comment...
cvamoca likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 07:08 AM
Aly
Master Member

Put a clean, large and very heavy rock in the bottom of a low-sided bowl. Pour fresh water (or fresh food) around the rock. Works with messy horses too.
Sabis mom, tim_s_adams and cvamoca like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page