Teaching a Dominant Dog A Submissive Position - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Teaching a Dominant Dog A Submissive Position

I have been trying to teach Wolfie to lay on his side. He has a very dominant personality, so this is a tough position for him. He will do it when I tell him but then get right up. After working on it for 10 minutes, he ran over to his bed and started humping it. I had high value treats to teach him with, and he wouldn't even take the treat when he had to go hump his bed. I stopped the lesson right there and will pick it up again later on tonight. Is there an easier way for him to learn this?

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:19 PM

I would do this,,,as soon as he goes on his side, treat him, and maybe use BANG as command for that position? (just a thought)..I would use whatever word yoru doing to get him on his side, treat , GOOD BANG (or whatever word you want to use), and release him, I'd release him BEFORE he makes the decision to get up.. Maybe work on extending that release word, by milliseconds,,you want to release him BEFORE he makes the decision,,and maybe even constantly treat him one right after the other, while he is in the position,,adding a little time each time you get him to stay for whatever length of time..Make sense? LOL

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, that makes sense. This way I am making the decision to let him up. I will try it.

Mom to
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I agree with Diane - rapid fire treats while he's in position, and then release him to get up before he gets up on his own, starting with a very brief amount of time at first and then working up to longer.

I don't think this has anything to do with a dominant dog and a submissive position, I think it's simply a training issue. Duration of a behavior has to be trained, no matter what the behavior is. You can also capture the position whenever he does it on his own (surely he lays on his side to rest from time to time?), marking and rewarding it. The more you reward something the more the dog is going to offer it up, and then you can put a command to it.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
I have been trying to teach Wolfie to lay on his side. He has a very dominant personality, so this is a tough position for him. He will do it when I tell him but then get right up. After working on it for 10 minutes, he ran over to his bed and started humping it. I had high value treats to teach him with, and he wouldn't even take the treat when he had to go hump his bed. I stopped the lesson right there and will pick it up again later on tonight. Is there an easier way for him to learn this?
I lost my drink...

So now he was a former male gigolo.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitonsDad View Post
I lost my drink...

So now he was a former male gigolo.
HAHAHA! Yes he was definitely that! Whenever I don't let him do something, for instance, shoving his tongue in the vacuum cleaner hose while it's on, or it I make him do something he doesn't like he runs over and humps his bed.

Mom to
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 PM

well I kinda skimmed over the humping thing LOL,,wolfie cracks me up, and he shoves his tongue in the vac hose while it's on? OH MY GOSH LMBO...

You need to write a book "Living with Wolfie" And debbie explained things much better than I !

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I would do this,,,as soon as he goes on his side, treat him, and maybe use BANG as command for that position? (just a thought)..I would use whatever word yoru doing to get him on his side, treat , GOOD BANG (or whatever word you want to use), and release him, I'd release him BEFORE he makes the decision to get up.. Maybe work on extending that release word, by milliseconds,,you want to release him BEFORE he makes the decision,,and maybe even constantly treat him one right after the other, while he is in the position,,adding a little time each time you get him to stay for whatever length of time..Make sense? LOL
Yay! I tried this and it worked!!

Mom to
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
well I kinda skimmed over the humping thing LOL,,wolfie cracks me up, and he shoves his tongue in the vac hose while it's on? OH MY GOSH LMBO...

You need to write a book "Living with Wolfie" And debbie explained things much better than I !
It's a pain when I am trying to vacuum with the hose and he keeps shoving his tongue in there. I have central vac and he figured out that all he has to do is grab the handle to flip the switch on. I can't leave it unattended or he wont have any tongue left. I have a weird dog.

Mom to
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

It's all coming together now... Male gigolo by night, Butler by day...

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page