help she wont move - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

help she wont move

i have tried to walk my puppy on leash when she was 9 weeks she walks by my side without the leash but when i introduced the leash she just dont move she walks a little and then just sits there i even pull her till she chokes but she dont move i tried treats , positive caliing , ...etc nthing worked and sometimes when she walks she turns around and bite my leg as if she wants something when am aroun she never bits me only on walk plzzz help :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Let her get used to the leash. Dont try to walk with her just yet. Put on the leash and let her play with it on but without you holding it. If shes more comfortable at home do it there. Don't pull or tug on her at all. She's just a baby.

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

I gave her 4 days to do so but still
i get soo frustrated that sometimes i hit her
when i take the route back home she walks fine but when going away from home she starts tugging and pulling back sometimes she walks and sometimes she just sits there i tried pulling here half the way on her butt she doesnt move
i have a chain collaar and an ordinary leash should i change it she bites it and pull of my hand when am sitting???
shoukd i stop walking her??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Elite Member

Your puppy is too young to expect her to walk on a leash. Stay at home, put the leash on her, let her walk and drag it around the house and yard.

You can do an exercise to help her with the leash acceptance by having some yummy treats in your hand or pocket. Get her attention, walk slowly backwards calling her name, give her a treat. Do this first with her just dragging the leash. Then, begin holding the leash and give her treats as she follows you around the yard. Gradually, over time, get her used to going further and then gently, and with more treats, begin leaving the yard as she gains confidence.

If you continue to hit her in frustration, you will ruin this dog. If you can't be happy and positive when playing and training her, don't do it at all.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

She drags it with no problem even do all the training with the roll over the down the jump the sit she dont care about it but when we start walking outside she walks sometimes and sits sometimes and i dnt want her to think if she ddnt move i will give her treats
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

Please do not drag your puppy. Please do not hit your puppy. How old are you? Ask your parents if they will pay for you to take the puppy to classes.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Am 17 and i dont hit her it was a one time frustration and i where i live there is no puppy classes i did my homeowrk thats why am asking here
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Crowned Member

A chain collar? You should have your pup on a harness or flat collar at this age. I would also have high value treats and lure her along, keep it fun.
If you are frustrated, then please dont work with her...she'll feel your emotions, and it isn't fair to a baby pup.
Here is a list of free video clips. scroll thru them and watch how to engage and interact with your new friend!
http://leerburg.com/flix/category.php?categoryid=58

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I bought her 2 harnessess and she keeps biting and ripping them so a chain collar would be unbitable
i didnt know she could feel frustration :/ thx all for your help
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe you didn't fit the harness right/ pup shouldn't be able to chew it. If that chain is choking her, you may be shutting her down. There are many collars to choose from, the "choke chain" is by far the worst thing made.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page