Speak on command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Speak on command

I'm curious to know how to teach my GSD how to bark on command. The only time he ever barks is literally only when people come near the house. He is in Search and Rescue training and one of the key things is for him to bark constantly until I come find him and the "victim." But he doesn't bark.. if he wants my attention he whines, if he wants to play he just sits next to me quietly with his toy, I have found nothing that makes him bark except the people at the door thing.. and even then I wouldn't know where to start.. any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 PM

We taught my Dobie to speak on command by having our beagle demonstrate. Took her awhile to figure it out (most beautiful dog I've ever had, but not the brightest bulb in the pack), but she finally got it. She did a lot of her learning that way - in fact, we used to say that our beagle trained her.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Master Member

We got Rio really riled up playing tug with her, jumping around and acting the maggot. Then I started barking at her, teasing her with the toy. When she barked out of frustration I said "Yes!" and gave her a treat. Took a about 20 min for her to get it. Now its her fav trick as she gets to be noisy . She responds more to a hand signal then the command Speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Master Member

Ok Don't laugh.

I had treats and would say "gib laut" and then I would "WOOF"

I did it for like 10 minutes command and I would bark. Then just when I thought I might be loosing my mind, I said "gib laut" and he went "woof!" I praised and treated him for long time. Then every night I would do the same thing, each time I would have to say the command and bark less before he got it. Then one day I went to go get the treats to do it and the first time I said "gib laut" he barked, so I did it again, he barked again! GOOD BOY! Took us 3 days!

People in my neighborhood must have thought I was insane!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gobles Sonar vom Shipwreck, CGC
Dark Sable 100% DDR German Shepherd (4/1/2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
Grey/White Siberian Husky (8/29/2005)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes you have to treat the whine as a bark. Any sound your pup makes after you provide the command. Make a HUGE deal out of if. Make him really excited when he makes a noise.

My GSD would only whine as well. He figured it out and barks now when asked.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page