Taking speak to a different level? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Taking speak to a different level?

My dog knows speak, but his speak starts out as more of a "whisper" untill I give him the command 2 or 3 times, then he gets a loud regular bark. I want to train speak as a "bark bark bark, growl" etc... continously till he is told to stop. Any ideas how I would introduce this? eventually I am going to incorporate this into a "gaurd" command as previously disscussed in this forum, but im not quite there yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

I do this by using something the dog is excited about, like a toy. I throw the toy out where the dog can't reach, command the dog to alert, then command the dog to return to me and sit in heel (quietly), then release him to the toy reward.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slefferd View Post
My dog knows speak, but his speak starts out as more of a "whisper" untill I give him the command 2 or 3 times, then he gets a loud regular bark. I want to train speak as a "bark bark bark, growl" etc... continously till he is told to stop. Any ideas how I would introduce this? eventually I am going to incorporate this into a "gaurd" command as previously disscussed in this forum, but im not quite there yet
Reward the behavior you want and ignore the one you don't.

Try this, starting with the bark. Because he already sort of "gets it", hold a treat in your hand and ask him to speak, JUST ASK ONCE. If he barks quietly don't do anything, just wait to see if he starts to bark louder. (just stand there and look at him) If he gives a couple of good loud barks, treat and praise. Basically don't reward him for the whispers, just the barks.

No idea how to teach a dog to growl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Reward the behavior you want and ignore the one you don't.

Try this, starting with the bark. Because he already sort of "gets it", hold a treat in your hand and ask him to speak, JUST ASK ONCE. If he barks quietly don't do anything, just wait to see if he starts to bark louder. (just stand there and look at him) If he gives a couple of good loud barks, treat and praise. Basically don't reward him for the whispers, just the barks.

No idea how to teach a dog to growl.
You know, thats the basis for all training. Reward for the behavior you want, and not for teh behavior you dont want, but this basic philosophy always slips my dang mind when im tryign to train him. I think im the one who needs trained!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slefferd View Post
You know, thats the basis for all training. Reward for the behavior you want, and not for teh behavior you dont want, but this basic philosophy always slips my dang mind when im tryign to train him. I think im the one who needs trained!
Yeppers...and it's easier to type than it is to do it consistently.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Crowned Member

It will go faster too if you have some sort of "lure" that will motivate the dog to bark repeatedly.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 AM

my dog does this same thing with speak. the first couple are whispers then a loud bark. its like she moves her mouth in a barking manner but nothing comes out. i wonder if thats a gsd thing

Last edited by sportsman1539; 05-31-2011 at 12:33 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman1539 View Post
my dog does this same thing with speak. the first couple are whispers then a loud bark. its like she moves her mouth in a barking manner but nothing comes out. i wonder if thats a gsd thing
Asher does that too. He'll do it from a couple times to quite a few, but always does a proper speak in the end before he gets the toy. Only thing is, he gives a high-pitched shrill bark instead of his deep, scary GSD bark.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 AM

same here. the deep bark only comes out when someone new comes in the house or she sees someone she isnt too sure about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page