showing ?????? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

showing ??????

I have been approached by a akc judge and a trainer about showing Ruger. He didnt come from show lines , he came from workers. I think he is a really pretty and almost freakish , in my opionion , large. He got his cgc last week and the judge wanted to show him in a puppy show. I have no intentions of showing him or breeding him. I dont have any pics now , but I think it is a waste of time and money. On the other hand if he "could" get some award should I do it????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
penny, hunter, spike and ruger....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

no, there is no award except a ribbon and an ego stroke. take it from someone whose family has been there done that, for many, many years. you are absolutely right, it's a waste of time and money. (imho, arrived at from lots of experience). obedience or agility might be a different story.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:23 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Have to say I disagree with Katieliz as far as ANY training and events out with my dog being a 'waste of time'. Any excuse to show off my pups is well worth it! It's a blast to do something new, with my pup, and if we win even better! Great brag for the breeder too...

I like to try out all the different venues and then decide what's best for me (course it's agility). But we've done herding, and tracking, obedience, therapy dog, and even played with a Sch club for a day! Loved it all...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Elite Member

the judge wanted to show him? Or the judge wanted you to show him.
AKC licensed judges can't show anyone elses dogs but their own.
If you want to show him in conformation, learn how to stack him and gait him properly and have fun.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

If you want to do something dog related, with your dog, go for it.

Dawn Brogan

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

I think the CGC evaluator may not be an actual breed judge, or a puppy show, is really a puppy match and you can pretty much do anything in a match -- it is not for points. Why not go for it, it could be really fun.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

puppy matches are a blast, good experience for both dog and handler. I love taking babies to matches.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

I like them two, I got a BOB at a match with Heidi, second in group. You do not have to pay an arm and a leg either. You sign up the day of the show, so if your bitch is in heat or out of coat or something, you just don't go. It is a good time, people are still happy with you if you win at matches...

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

I have gotten four Best In Matches, lots of groups placings.Sure is fun. I won't take my pointed dogs to matches though, so have nobody to show right now in matches.
:-(

I love to judge matches, especially with puppies. Watching the babies learning to trot and stand and be examined and then getting lots of puppy kisses just makes me smile. you can have so much fun, and its relaxing too. I get to judge the local fair dog show/4-h show. I give a "handling,training" clinic before the fair to help the kids and adults , I love doing that.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

Go for it! Conformation showing can be a lot of fun! Esp. if you don't take the results all that seriously - just enjoy the time in and around the ring. It is really fun to watch all the "show" folks who live and die with a judges subjective opinion of their dog relative to the other dogs in the ring.

Plus you get to watch all the "double handlers" racing around the outside of the ring without fear of life and limb (yours or theirs) in an effort to make their dog look good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page